Dvc 6 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DV Challenge
An organized theme-based competition where Content is King!

Old July 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #46
Wrangler

Every one I've done has just been me and my cheap 1 chip ZR40.

Will it change this time?

Dunno. :)
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #47
Major Player

DVC5
DVC30 camera, couple of microphones, home built dolly, 3 500w lights, wideangle lens, edited on my laptop.

Crew- me plus 1 for helping out with the lighting. 2 actors.

Budget- $150 for props, food, tapes, and bulbs, and stuff to build the dolly, aspirin.

This time around i'm hoping to double my crew.

I've since bought some nice do-dads that I hope to use too.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #48
Major Player

I wrote, edited and directed, three other writers, sound man, camera man, lighting man, script supervisor, four actors, one music composer. We used a PD-170 on a Bogden tripod and a home built light kit which cost about $120 (now that it's complete).

I think food was the biggest item on the budget for our last effort. That and the bar bill after the martini shot. $170 total or something close to that.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Sounds like a really wide range. I'm reasonably happy with my equipment, minus audio, though I'll probably just do it Spaghetti-style. I'm definitely looking forward to this.
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #50
RED Code Chef

You'll be fine Harris! It's a great learning experience, don't forget to have fun!!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #51
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Every one I've done has just been me and my cheap 1 chip ZR40.

Will it change this time?

Dunno. :)
Oh yeah, my budget for my last one was $110 for a bottle of Lagavulin.
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #52
Major Player

$110 ??? that seems a bit high. $75 for a bottle here in NYC.
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:33 PM   #53
Wrangler

I don't even know what Lagavulin is, but if it'll help bring about more of what you gave us last time, Dylan, I'm all for you including it in the budget of your next movie. ;)
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #54
Major Player

As long as there's no more naked bathtub scenes.
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #55
Major Player

Ohhhh noooooo. I lost my lead actor and supporting actress to a stupid vacation... drab nater. I'm starting to get a little desperate here. I'm currently training my dog to sit and stare on command. right now she's only doing it when i'm ignoring her and only then it's when something gets close to my mouth.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Ohhhh noooooo. I lost my lead actor and supporting actress to a stupid vacation... drab nater. I'm starting to get a little desperate here. I'm currently training my dog to sit and stare on command. right now she's only doing it when i'm ignoring her and only then it's when something gets close to my mouth.
How do you know you need actors? Maybe we are going to be doing still lifes.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Still lifes? Shoot me.
Joey Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
I'm all for dogs as actors. But you might end up with a little bit of a moody piece, and you'll probably get fat yourself as you eat all that cheese while she stares longingly at you.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:23 AM   #59
Wrangler

use the dog, by all means! and join in a long-standing (well, okay there's two of us...) lineage of DVC dog movies. maybe dylan will come to his senses and have an all-dog DVC....that'd be a good theme. everyone has at least one dog movie in 'em, except for the cat people, maybe....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #60
New Boot

I am hoping to enter the DVC6 contest but some advice for a newbie would be much appreciated.

I've never entered a contest nor have I posted anything on the internet before so I've done what homework I could by following a lot of useful and insightful tips regarding this on this community site from previous posts: from how to find websites that offer free hosting for my submission to reviewing other video submissions made by members of this forum.

My dilemma then comes to my uncertainty of being able to implement this plan. With my limited tech-know-how, I'm uncertain of being able to actually edit and post my submission. More importantly, I do not have a video camera, but what I do have is this itch to shoot and be in production. With a disclosure of my understanding that the contest weighs content over form, I did secure a 1.0 Megapixel camera (Sony DCR-TRV33) from a friend to possibly shoot on.

Given these considerations, I am then asking, would it be responsible for me to sign up for this contest? Being on the wall of shame is one thing, but I don't want to be frowned upon (especially as a new user) on this site for trying to compete in something that's out of my league.

So without rationalizing the situation for myself or looking for sympathy, objectively, there's a rather large margin for failure for me to not be able to put up a finished product as such- from lack of experience not by a lack of effort. But I want to try now and the next contest seems too far away for me.

What would be the best advice for my dilemma? Much appreciated for your time.

Cheers.
Daniel Speed is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge