Who is going to NAB 2006? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

DV Info Net Announcements
Important news relating to the DV Info Net site and these message boards.

Old January 14th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Who is going to NAB 2006?

Does anyone know if any manufacturers are comping passes to NAB this year? Plan on attending and would like to avoid the $150 fee. TIA
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Always, every year. You should never have to pay to get in. I'll poll our site sponsors for free exhibits pass codes. Now would be a good time to determine who all from here is going... I've already made my hotel and flight reservations.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #3
Major Player

I'll definitely be there. I should be there all Wednesday and Friday but, because of school, I won't be able to go on Tuesday and Thursday unless I get some cancelled classes =P, so much for my attempt at NAB reporting this year. Too bad they didn't have exhibits start on that Monday, that's one of my free days. But I'll be there nonetheless.
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Major Player

I'd love to go to NAB one of these years. Won't be able to afford it for awhile, though.
Old January 15th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am planning to stop by this year. Any advice for getting a decent rate for an airticket and hotel?
Old January 15th, 2006, 11:08 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Aanarav, if you don't mind taking the train to Philadelphia, you can fly from there to Las Vegas and back on non-stop flights for $200 round trip on SouthWest Airlines (the DV Info Net corporate jet). That's a great price for airfare.

Old January 16th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

If I add $100 to that I get a return ticket Holland <-> LV

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the tip. Philadelphia is about an hour away and I save $150! Thanks!
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Hey gang.

I'll be going Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. It'll be my first time attending NAB. My boss and I just registered for passes today comped by someone that I can't remember. I'll try to find out who it was and post back.

We are flying SouthWest Airlines from Raleigh non-stop and I think it was around $200 round trip.

Anyway, I'd like to meet up with anyone from these forums that might be going as well. It would be great to meet some of the people who have taught me so much and given some great advice.

I want to maximize my time there and soak up all that I can learn. Maybe those of you who have been before could give me some pointers on how to make the best of it. How does one go about getting permission to shoot video there?

My contact info is in my sig and I hope to see some of you there.
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Dave, see http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/buyersguide/nabtips.php for some NAB tips.

Old January 17th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #11
Major Player

I plan to go. I love Vegas, plus it's my B-day that week - I'll be a mess...

Would love to run into some of these familiar forum names out there - hope you like a guy that rambles, asks a bunch of questions, and turns into a long haired drunk at night ;)

For anyone close to their hubs, I flew to Vegas on Allegiant Air 4 times last year (www.allegiantair.com). They used to be dreadfully cheap, but the rates went up just after Katrina. You can still catch some very good deals, and the big plus is that it's all direct. You can fly there on Super Bowl Sunday for $21...

See ya,
Shawn
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey DP, I worked in the Roanoke market... you still got that star thing on the hill? I spent my last night there with a 'female' photog, but that was in a different life.

What great country!

I'll be at NAB, and I'm looking for innovative jib construction... lightweight and portable. Gotta to hold weight too.

Plus other industry research, like good and dependable leasing houses.

Can't wait.
Dave Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #13
Major Player

I'll be there, as always, Sunday through Thursday. Apple usually does the big rollout of new products Sunday morning. Last year I happened to sit right behind a formerly PC-centric forum owner who shall remain nameless (hope I'm not outing anybody here).

Also, there are 2 evening events which are now staples for me at NAB. The ProMax Digital Cafe and the Final Cut Pro User Group events are both a sight to behold. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but those have to be the largest NAB gatherings outside of the show floor itself. They each attract thousands of attendees. There's food, drink and door prizes, as well as presentations from some heavy players, all in a very relaxed atmosphere. Keep an eye out at the ProMax and LAFCPUG sites for registration info.

I don't know about anyone else, but it always seems I end up at the cafeteria at the LVCC main concourse Monday morning, waiting for the exhibit floor to open. The breakfast there is at least 2 notches above gross - not bad for a cafeteria, and there's always the adjacent Starbucks if you prefer. How about we call it an informal DVInfo.net breakfast? 1 hour or so before the show floor opens?

I'd like to suggest someplace better, but there's really no good eats near the LVCC or Hilton that I know of. Also, there are so many special events that go on later in the week that it might be tough to get everyone together. Tell you what, all. I'll be sitting on the left side of the cafeteria, near the back if anyone else wants to stop by and say hello. What do you say, Chris? We'll have a little bulls**t session and compare shopping lists before hitting the show floor?
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Herring
Hey DP, I worked in the Roanoke market... you still got that star thing on the hill? I spent my last night there with a 'female' photog, but that was in a different life.
Hey Dave,

Yes, the Star is still there. I can see it from my house actually.

Who was the photog? Maybe I know her. Or maybe that's info you would rather not divuldge :) I, too, had a "different life" at one point ;)

Chris, thanks for the link to the DVinfo article. Quite helpful.

I think Scott has a great idea and I, for one, will make plans to meet up with him and anyone else who plans to do the same. Looking forward to meeting some of you folks!

dp
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #15
Regular Crew

DP- I've changed the names to protect the innocent.

Those were great days; I did a news story about a triple drowning on the James River, December 1983. I was just out of college and the story led to my first career break. God was it cold that day, I did not think we would ever get that piece to air.

Spent a little over a year in the Land of Jefferson (or is it Presidents), I still work with people from that part of Virginia all the time.

I love Virginia, and fortunately, she loved me.
Dave Herring is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > DV Info Net Announcements