DVC 11 - Flashlight - Hugh DiMauro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 15th, 2007, 05:00 AM   #1
Trustee

DVC 11 - Flashlight - Hugh DiMauro

I'd better get this out of the way before I get busy at work. Firstly, another heartfelt thanks to Brad for once again bailing me out of trouble. You are truly a friend in need. I wish you and Wally had one of your hilarious capers for us to watch.

Secondly, a heartfelt thanks to my cast and crew who braved 25 degree nighttime weather to help make this film for the DVC Charity Challenge.

Thirdly, thanks to Dylan who keeps this racket running like a Swiss watch.

I hope everybody who views this enjoys it as much as we had fun making it.
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Two More Things...

Please peek at the blooper reel for some laughs.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro View Post
Please peek at the blooper reel for some laughs.

Merry Christmas, everyone!
You know, before I looked at the blooper reel I was going to ask how much of this was improv on a theme because the lines seemed so natural and loose.

It was a fun story too and I'm glad someone didn't do Christmas.

Smile
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Wrangler

You and your cop movies! :)

This was very well done—funny concept, good writing and convincing acting, wonderfully paced; you did an excellent job all the way around. Your comedies walk an interesting line between G-rated (think Apple Dumpling Gang) and hard, guy humor. I laugh, but probably wouldn’t tell my mom to come over and watch. :)

As usual with your stuff, I’m really impressed. You are quite the filmmaker/storyteller, Hugh.

p.s. That ninja guy was a hoot!
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Kris: I wrote the script the way I imagined the actors would say the lines. Unfortunately, my writing is so stilted that the actors had to change inflection, delivery and word choices which created their fabulous improve feel. Thank goodness for their talent and instinct for character development on the fly. If you watch the bloopers reel, Holbrook complains about my writing! Rightfully so! Ha! They also came up with wonderful last minute ideas (like Scott's ass pat on Jenks!). Great bunch with whom to work. Just furnish beer/whiskey, cigars, hot dogs and chips. Thank you, Kris, for your feedback.

Lorinda: As usual, your kind comments are very appreciated. You are exactly correct in your genre description. I love to mix the innocent, "G"-rated stuff right up to the line. It just seems funny. I think by everybody getting together ("Hey! We're gonna make a MOVIE, dude!") to have some fun, we pulled off a bit of silliness that's fun to watch at parties. Thank you, Lorinda.
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hugh. Liked this one a lot. Cop training video, per your profile ?? Very believable characters, making unbelievable plot, believable.. lots of fun. I'll check out blooper reel....
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Very believable characters, making unbelievable plot, believable...
Yes! That's a great point, Chris. :)
Old December 17th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #8
Trustee

Wow!

Never thought of it that way! Thanks!
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #9
Major Player

LOVE IT! And the Blooper reel is priceless! Those two guys are a riot. All of the cast is great. Very well done.
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #10
Trustee

Thank you, Ed. Then I must have done my job.
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Hugh,

Funny guys, like to see more of them together. I'd also like to see a little insert shot of the wife naked, but that's just me...

Kind of a neat idea, a flashlight of "truthiness." Good relationships between all the guys. But, I just have one nit to pick on your casting decisions. Chosing an obviously gay man to play the role of the gay cop seems so "first choice." Maybe if you had a more masculine guy in this role, the ending might have been more surprising.

Just a thought.

Dick

BTW, I love your signature line, Interesting if true, and interesting anyway. (Sort of describes my sense of humor :)
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Hugh. Liked this one a lot. Cop training video, per your profile ?? Very believable characters, making unbelievable plot, believable.. lots of fun. I'll check out blooper reel....
I take it all back..... after watching the blooper reel, it is clear that it was purely luck that the movie came out so well...... :) .. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun... Would love to have been there, with long Johns of course..
Old December 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #13
Trustee

Hey Dick, funny you should mention that! The guy I originally had slated to play the sergeant was none other than the real Sergeant Joe Moore, remember? The guy who played the funeral director in "The Stiff"? Well, he could not do it and Jared Scott stepped up to the plate like a trooper.

Uhhhh.. he's not gay. I met his wife at our team's Christmas party at the Prickett Ranch. I think he played the role well. He had definite ideas on how to play it. We combined a pompous, officious attitude with an up-and-coming line officer thing. He even came up with patting Jenks on the fanny just as a foreshadowing tool. Jared will be pleased to know you thought he was gay. Man, I hope you don't give him a complex. He may start acting tougher to overcompensate for your remark! HAHAHAHAHA I can't wait for the guys to read THAT!

Chris, I allow alot of leeway for the actors to improvise at the expense of possible continuity problems. Improvise = "I never studied my lines like I was supposed to!" Jenks was actually irritating Holbrook because he could not get his lines straight and we shot late into the cold night. I believe I had an angel on my shoulder with this one. Overall, the actors did a fantastic job and I am using them all again.
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #14
Major Player

Wtg ;--p

Hi Hugh,

Ah, I was sooooo disappointed - watching the video I kept saying, "Nutz, I wish I was there tipping suds with the boys!" And girlie pictures, too? Need I say more?

You're video was fantastic but you truly outdid yourself on the bloopers! Clearly you have a better relationship with your actors - had I posted the outtakes I'm not sure who would call me first: the actor or the lawyers? (your team and mine ran neck-n-neck on the giggles and flubbed lines)

Now then, where can I get me one of those awesome flashlights?

Cudos to you and your team,

Michael Nistler
BridgeHands Video, submitting "Crystal Clear"
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro View Post
Uhhhh.. he's not gay. I met his wife at our team's Christmas party at the Prickett Ranch.
I was, of course, just teasing based on the Jared "I'm not gay" Scott credits.

Do you think his wife knows??? :)
Dick Mays is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!