DVC 14 - Hobo By Day - Lorinda Norton at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM   #1
Wrangler

DVC 14 - Hobo By Day - Lorinda Norton

My apologies to the 95% of you who hate noisy banjo music. You know the joke about dying and going to either heaven or hell: “Welcome to heaven; here’s your harp.” “Welcome to hell; here’s your banjo.” (I think Gary Larson used “accordion” on the latter.) Couple the jangling banjo playing with my good friend’s high-pitched voice and, well…imagine editing this piece!

Early on in the contest my son gave me a fun idea but I couldn’t get anyone interested. Then my Wyoming pal Brad Marlow gave me a great idea but I couldn’t get anyone interested in that. So, I got one “friend” who is interested in EVERYTHING I do and we set out to make this little video. The wonderful thing about Shorty is he didn’t complain about how often we went out or how much time stuff took. He ate it up.

As I complained in another thread, I am never happy with my hand held work, so I think I'd better stick with...sticks. Of course, this one needed a Steadicam-type stabilizer, but my legs and hands are all I've got. That's why I'm calling it a video and not a film!

My mom likes it, so I’m happy with that…if anyone else does, that’s just an extra nice bonus. :)
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:16 AM   #2
Major Player

I'm one of those 95%, but your, ok, video saved it.
The song was wonderful together with the film and suited it perfectly. Did you commission it specially for the film?

And I can't even imagine how hard was it to film with dog as your main actor!
Please tell, how long did it take you to make it, did you talk your dog into doing all the scenes or also used what you had?

The handheld didn't hurt most scenes, it made the picture livelier.

Oh, and making an animal film is just unfair, you instantly get a +100 doggy bonus! :D I love dogs!
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I like the banjo, but then I'm from Georiga.

I was watching some DVC14 entries on my computer, and discovered my four year old daughter behind me. Fedor was on the screen, and was just about to start knocking some heads around. I told her to go play with her brothers but she wanted to watch the movies, so she sat up in my lap, and we watched three more child friendly DVC entries, Hobo for a Day, Double Time, and the Fish in Paris thing.

Of these three, Hobo was Caroline's favorite and she wanted to see the "dog movie" again and again.

Here are some things I liked:

I loved the shot of the dog in the moving boxcar. I assume you moved the camera to get the illusion that the train was moving, but I didn't think of this until I had watched it four times. I simply assumed the train was moving.

I liked the friendship with the cat at the opening, the tracking shot down the road, the jumping the fence shot, and the exhausted look on the bed. Also really liked the banjo player credit at the end.

But did you really have to include the urination shot? I mean, I saw fluids!

:)
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Major Player

Lorinda, I think you take on some pretty challenging projects using animals as your main characters.

I think this is either your second or third film as such.

I didn't even notice your 'hand held' stuff. And to be honest, you would have been hard pressed to get some of those shots if your were using sticks.

Fun story. The only thing I would have done different is start the shot of your dog coming out the gate a little later so it doesn't look like he's waiting for you to call him.

Nice job.
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Lorinda.... I'll post my comments as soon as I can stop laughing after reading Dick's post!
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Inner Circle

"But did you really have to include the urination shot? I mean, I saw fluids!"

Dick:

Rule 14.3, Animal bodily funtions will be acceptable in situations where a fire hydrant is present...
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Rule 14.3, Animal bodily funtions will be okay in situations where a fire hydrant is present...
OK, since humans are animals too, I have a few comedy ideas /grins
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Wrangler

LOL! Oh, you guys…

Just so you know, I agonized for about 30 seconds over whether I should include that or not.
Old November 21st, 2008, 01:51 PM   #9
Wrangler

Thanks for the *other* feedback, fellas. ;) Andris, I laughed when I read your comment to Alex a couple days ago about the annoying banjo music and thought, “Oh man, wait ‘til he gets a load of mine!” :)

In answer to your questions, I wrote the song for this video as soon as the idea came to my head. My friend, Bill, worked out part of the second verse and a banjo part from a piano/singing clip I emailed to him and we recorded it at his house. That’s why it sounds so…home grown, and not exactly what I had in mind, but it worked okay.

Shorty is kind of a ham, don’t you think? He’s one of two former shelter dogs who live with me (four altogether). Someone must have trained him way back when because he did several of those things on command; other times I just tried to catch him alone. We shot all the footage over the course of three days--my muscles were killing me from getting down to dog level! The only time he got really nervous is when I hoisted him into the box car, and incidentally, when on the tracks those things are farther off the ground than they look. Dick, that was my favorite shot, as well, and the one I had the toughest time getting. Oh, and...you are right; the camera was moving, not the train.

I’m planning to put together a little outtake reel. The stuff we shot in town with the deputy got kind of funny. Of course, I won’t come anywhere near to using the 90 minutes of tape I’ve got--can’t tell you how many shots were ruined because the other dogs walked into the frame.

James, you are correct; I’ve done a couple other shorts with animals, and looking back on one of them is partly what motivated me to do this one. My crew is getting really old--I’m looking at losing a couple of them in the near future. So I want to capture what I can, and this seemed like as good a time as any.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Home grown banjo music is not what I normally listen to, but I loved it! It was perfect for this piece!

Loved the hand held shots, as well. I think it's very fitting for this piece, especially since we're watching this from the dog's point of view. Plus, you totally fooled me with the train shot. Clever! I'm trying to think of any constructive criticism to give, but I truly don't have any.

Personally I wanted to reach into my screen and give that dog a big 'ol hug. This is probably my favorite piece you've done. Can't wait for the outtakes.
Joseph Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Major Player

I liked the opening shot and was hoping it would turn into some "Tom and Jerry" re-make :D

I enjoyed the colors in this one, very pleasing. As pointed earlier, very good idea with the credits. The "moving train" shot was clever and shows how creative people get when on a budget :)
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:08 PM   #12
Wrangler

Thanks, guys. Joseph, there are days when I wish I could give Shorty to you for a few hours. You could take him for a ride on the subway! ;)

Tom and Jerry! LOL! Now that would be a challenge…

By the way, Dick, I am flattered that Caroline liked the doggy movie. It’s not a bad feeling putting myself on the same wavelength as a four year-old. Or even a dog.

James, I forgot to mention that I left the earlier part of Shorty at the gate in there because that was all his idea. He wasn’t waiting for me to call. To me it looked like he was trying to decide whether or not to make his escape! :)
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Looks like the "talent" had a great time in the making of this film on a nice sunny day. A steadicam in low mode could've added some really interesting shots to this film. Perhaps, I would've intercut some 1st person doggie perspective footage so that the audience isn't just viewing the story from afar.

Lorinda, thanks for making and sharing this....it makes me want to get a dog.
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:23 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm partial to the mandolin stylings of Del McCoury, myself, but banjo music ain't half bad; we can all use a little twang now and again.

I love the way Shorty's one ear flops down when he turns his head, around the thirty-eight second mark. All the pooch personality you could ask for in one shot. Coupled with his little doggie paddle paw-flippie thing he does as he jumps over the fence toward the end, I think we get a nice sense of who this guy is.

I agree with everyone else about the neat boxcar shot, but I'm more curious about the bus ride. Did you have to call in any favors to board with a pet, or was that just a kindly driver willing to help out?
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM   #15
Inner Circle

My brother and sister in law do a lot of Blue Grass banjo, mandolin, guitar and, so I appreciate the music.

I also love your Blue Jean logo, ...

Film was fun and actual quite cool in folksie sort of way. What was it the dog got a hold of in the trees at about :30. On the farm they can find some pretty yucky stuff...

With the run of the town Hobo had, I was waiting for the dog catcher to show up, but looks like the sheriff doubles there...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!