DVC19 - Demon's Mask by Bruce Foreman at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old October 26th, 2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Trustee

DVC19 - Demon's Mask by Bruce Foreman

Shot with the Canon 7D, primarily used the EF 24mm f2.8 but did use the 18-55mm "kit" lens where I needed a wider field of view. Audio for the interiors was recorded with the ZoomH2 using it's built in mics. Exterior audio was recorded in the camera with a Rode SVM on camera.

Shopping for the mask used as a prop was frustrating. Not being located in a larger city like Dallas or Houston (thank God!), all the shops seemed to have was Halloween "junk". Until someone tipped me off to a "hole in the wall" shop in the mall that had several replicas of African Tribal masks.

My acting crew had fun with this one and put themselves into the roles enough where they improvised some, deviating from the script. Just about all of the improvisations improved things and were left in.

Hope you enjoy watching.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello Bruce

Nice one! I enjoyed the overall concept and the way story unfolds, however, I felt it was slight predictable (maybe that's why I have enjoyed it as I knew what is coming yet was curious how it would be pulled of).

Perhaps more angles (as in camera work) would helped a lot but then I know first hand what are our limitations here in terms of supporting crew.

The 7D really allowed you to have nice night shots.

Anyway, take this in a constructive manner, of course. Thank you for the entertainment!
Old October 26th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce, thanks for your comment on my entry (we're playing musical chairs for the critiques over here!)....

On your Demon's Mask, I have to say I'm a big fan of the old Hammer House of Horror stories. They delivered every time, reinforcing narratives that you may have seen before but which were fascinating even in their familiarity. I could see you going there. Actually, one telemovie your entry made me think of was the African doll story ("Amelia" I think it was called) in a compendium called "Trilogy of Terror". Worth a look at if you haven't already seen it.

Your "professor" was delightfully cast against type. It would have been nice to see a bikie professor in a sort of university environment to better savour the contrast. Having his relative (nephew you said?) play the transformed character was good, and he obviously got into the part.

I'm no technical whizz, so I won't dwell on lighting and such. Just my thought on the narrative would have been to have scripted the dialogue to make it tighter and more movie-like. But you did say you enjoyed the improv that broke out on set -- and apparently that also helped the "Blair Witch Project", so it's just my two cents.

Last edited by Marc Burleigh; October 26th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Looks like you had a bit of fun with this one.

Like the others, I think the editing could have tightened this up quite a bit. Also use of cutaway shots and close ups would have made the lock down camera scenes in the living room better and in keeping with the story line. He should have gotten up, when you came into the room.

Another thought, I would like to have seen is that the "Polly Pureheart" female character have been featured in the shots more. She was an asset to the film to play against you and your partner more.

A fun film, once again, Bruce.
Old October 26th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Major Player

That was great fun! I particularly liked the transformation shot. How did you put that together?
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #6
Wrangler

Beware...spoilers ahead

Bruce, that was entertaining as all get out! Thanks! Good thing Bill Hollingsworth happened to be in that parking garage. Or did he know that the good professor wouldn't be able to resist the pull of the mask? :)

As was already said, it could have been a little tighter there in the beginning, but the pace picked up so well and continued it made up for it.

You ol' Texan you, referring to them as the "paranormal bunch." I had to laugh, and I also laughed at the sequence regarding burying the mask. That was very conversational and, I'm guessing, part of the improv.

Your demon from the mask was pretty convincing as a scary human eater. I'd hate to meet up with him in an isolated parking garage, I can tell ya that.

Music and graphics took me back to the days when we'd watch scary movies in the auditorium at school. That was great fun and so was this film.
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Bruce, just a thought: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8775/lightingb.png :)
Old October 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Trustee

Gotta respond to some good comments here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugurel Dragusin View Post
Perhaps more angles (as in camera work) would helped a lot but then I know first hand what are our limitations here in terms of supporting crew.

The 7D really allowed you to have nice night shots.

Anyway, take this in a constructive manner, of course. Thank you for the entertainment!
Yes more angles. I let myself get rushed and don't do this like I should.

7D is one neat camera!

Your comments are taken as offered. We don't grow if we are told everything is perfect. Thanks, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Burleigh View Post
Your "professor" was delightfully cast against type. It would have been nice to see a bikie professor in a sort of university environment to better savour the contrast. Having his relative (nephew you said?) play the transformed character was good, and he obviously got into the part.
Seeing as two of the projects he worked with me on he played the Devil, this was a neat change for him. He enjoyed it and needed little direction to "act" bewilderment when the mask was removed.

His nephew, Val, is a good find. He has had some drama training, martial arts, and loves to act. He also needed little "coaching" to reach within himself and bring forth an intensity I didn't expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Looks like you had a bit of fun with this one.

Like the others, I think the editing could have tightened this up quite a bit. Also use of cutaway shots and close ups

Another thought, I would like to have seen is that the "Polly Pureheart" female character have been featured in the shots more. She was an asset to the film to play against you and your partner more.

A fun film, once again, Bruce.
Yes, must repeat 1,000 times...More cutaways...More cutaways...More.....

That "Polly Pureheart" was a really lucky find. My daughter found her for us and then the kicker...I was stationed with, flew on missions with, and worked for her Grandfather twice while on active duty. Anyway, I am looking forward to casting her in future projects and will definitely try to "showcase" her more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Williams View Post
That was great fun! I particularly liked the transformation shot. How did you put that together?
A sequence of dissolves attempting to have the two actors in the same position in that chair. Identical positioning was, of course, a bit impossible but the rapid dissolves covered that up somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Bruce, that was entertaining as all get out! Thanks! Good thing Bill Hollingsworth happened to be in that parking garage. Or did he know that the good professor wouldn't be able to resist the pull of the mask? :)
4 minutes didn't allow time to set the stage properly for that, but yours is one plausible explanation..

Quote:
You ol' Texan you, referring to them as the "paranormal bunch." I had to laugh,
Yeah, well...We gotta run them outta town now and then....

Quote:
and I also laughed at the sequence regarding burying the mask. That was very conversational and, I'm guessing, part of the improv.
He blew me away with that, you can see I couldn't hold all the laugh back. (I can see a dog digging it up and carrying it back to his master...Or was that already in the Jim Carrey version of "Mask"?)

Quote:
Your demon from the mask was pretty convincing as a scary human eater. I'd hate to meet up with him in an isolated parking garage, I can tell ya that.
Kinda made me feel like I ought to put down the camera and run...I just don't run fast at 72...Oh well, keep on filming...

Lorinda, thanks for your fun comments. I always enjoy being a part of this contest and this bunch of fine folks.

Bruce Foreman
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

This might have been the most fun of the entries because I could tell it was just so fun to make. The movie itself feels like a good friend or something, if you know what I mean? The ending is feel good while we still know that "evil" is not out of this world. I really had a great time watching.

A few people mentioned it was predictable, and I felt that way myself (definitely part of the charm), but if you wanted to avoid it I think that maybe a little re-working of the dialog could allow us to discover more. Bill Hollingsworth tells us so much of the story before it has begun that it we clearly see what is coming. Perhaps if Bill could only hint at his suspicions of the mask, and we discover it's evil powers along with Professor Mendoza, then Bill's triumphant and heroic return at the end would be all the more believable and rewarding, and there would be more for us to do during the film then just watch, we could be solving the mystery ourselves. It certainly is tough to figure out the best ways to get the story across because it easily goes the other way and people say "You didn't tell us enough! It's confusing!", so it's never easy. I still really like the story.

I think a lot of other people raised good points about having more insert shots and utilizing editing to really control the scene, and I would second those.

Other than that fun film Bruce that I really had a great time watching!
Mitchell Stookey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!