DVC 6 Feedback - Replaced by Kris Holodak - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:17 PM   #16
Major Player

I didn't notice the family photos in the background, that's a nice touch now that you mention it.

Great film (love the line about subcontracting to another star), but I think it was a little slow to be a believable news piece; when the reporter swings around on the picnic table, for example, that felt like it should've been tighter to me.

Other than that, and maybe a different angle of the NASA sign--that light pole is right in front of the sign, though I understand we all have limitations when it comes to camera position--I loved this. The reenactment was it for me, I was cracking up, really a hilarious idea!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Martens
a little slow to be a believable news piece;
Nuts, that means I missed my mark a bit. We had a long discussion about whether it should be a news piece or a documentary and decided on the doc, which is why it was paced a little slower. (The picnic table move was meant to be an homage to Richard Attenboro on a rock in Egypt). But I guess thinking about it the only thing we did different script wise was leave out "I'm Janet reporting live on the scene".

Thanks for the feedback.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Kris, I was a little nervous about commenting on your piece prior to mine coming out, you can see why now.

It is amazing how a simple theme that has such a broad definition can be interpreted so simarly by different people. What really threw me was we both had NASA scientists. At least we used different scientists.

Having said that, I enjoyed the parody. Your reporter did a great job. I would agree that the lighting on the reporter could have used some help. I HATE shooting in the sun. The best outdoor shoots I have had were done when it was heavily overcast. Good work!
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:12 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Broussard
It is amazing how a simple theme that has such a broad definition can be interpreted so simarly by different people. What really threw me was we both had NASA scientists. At least we used different scientists.
NASA seems appropriate for theme, and having Goddard Space Flight Center close by I couldn't resist. Though there is a security station right next to that sign so I was afraid to get any closer. It probably would have been fine, but I was too shy to ask (which is why I don't do real news). Of course you only think they're different scientists, I manipulated the voice as well as the face. ;-)

You, me, Sean, all a little bit similar and yet very different. Kinda fun how that turns out.
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!