DVC#6 - Mike Teutsch "Man's Best Friend" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:17 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Nice choice of music, the shot of the ocean and the sun was great. The story was funny.

From the looks of that hole, I think you worked harder than anyone else!

I was wondering how the dog buried the chest and drew the map, I didn't notice his thumbs!

The walking off the paces was really funny.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:25 PM   #17
Major Player

Definitely my favorite of the day - and not just for the dog, though I am a member of the dog club. It had a good story and it was well executed. Those are always the ones I like best.

Smile,
Kris
Kris Holodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

That was a nice little story and she is a very cute l'il dog. I had a few issues with continuity in the cuts (which I'd imagine is difficult to control, no matter HOW cute the dog is) and with crossing the axis but it was easy enough to follow what was what. One question: was the shot of the thermometer rising "assisted" in any way?

Nice job!

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:08 PM   #19
Major Player

Very nicely done Mike. The dog was wonderful, how was it working with animals? Not too tough I hope. Sorry to hear about your pain though, jeesh, hope your recovering nicely.

I think I remember reading a Disney story like this to my son, LOL.
Dennis Khaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:18 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Silver
One question: was the shot of the thermometer rising "assisted" in any way?

Nice job!-j
For the thermometer, I sat the back workings of it on top of my cup of hot coffee. When it reached about 110 deg, I quickly hung it in a predetermined spot and ran to the camera, which was setup and ready to go. It took a couple of attempts to get it right. The temperature dropped very rapidly in the cooler morning breeze. Then in post I just reversed the footage. I did speed up the zoom in.

Thanks---Mike
Old August 23rd, 2006, 07:21 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Khaye
Very nicely done Mike. The dog was wonderful, how was it working with animals? Not too tough I hope. Sorry to hear about your pain though, jeesh, hope your recovering nicely.

I think I remember reading a Disney story like this to my son, LOL.
She was good to work with, but all she wanted to do was chaise the birds. She is a real hunter. I shot some video of her splashing through the water trying to get to them.

Mike
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:08 AM   #22
Trustee

I have to say I liked it a lot. Sort of a Laurel and Hardy feel for some reason with me. I suppose it's a sort of sad resignation in the delivery? Maybe the idea of adversity as humor? Not really sure, but I liked it.

Never ate a dog cookie. Thought about it - who hasn't thought about it? Fess up folks. I would have liked to see it as if he was stranded on an island with the poochie. Maybe the other people were a distraction to me. It would have been cliche I suppose, but fun. Either way, it was a good one. I like the pace as well.

Thanks,

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Mike, hope you have a speedy recovery. That's dedication! I would've just buried the box 6 inches deep and called it a day. I enjoyed this one. Thanks.
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:34 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have eaten a dog cookie. My mom gave them to me when I was teething because they lasted much longer than the usual teething biscuits. I have also eaten cat food (dry Meow Mix, the chicken is the best) of my own accord.

And now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:39 PM   #25
Wrangler

i bit into a dog biscuit when i was a child, on a dare from my brother. i don't recommend milk bones. dry. flat. mealy. the memory lingers...

how do you spell "thpah thpah thpah?"
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:28 PM   #26
Major Player

Sadie is great! The movie's even better the second time through, I can practically see the mischief in her eyes. Waiting, hoping you'll leave so she can get to work digging up her treasure.

The first time through, I thought the voice work was supposed to be ADR, replacing dialogue you had spoken on camera, and it didn't sound very good, to be honest. Now that I consider it as voiceover, however, it fits like a glove, and does indeed give the Laurel and Hardy feel Sean spoke of. The sped up dog chase clinches that feel for me, and the ending made me chuckle. I feel stupid for not seeing it coming, but that made it all the more amusing.

The shots of you following the map are a little off kilter, but otherwise a "warm and fuzzy" kind of film. I like "warm and fuzzy". Good work.
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk
It was a wonderful little video, funny too. It was a great idea and Sadie does an impressive job. The colours were a bit dull though, but you can colour correct it for the future if you want. It's really simple, in the editing app, there should be some colour corrections tools. I just took a screen cap to show you what is possible. All I did was fix the black and white levels and put in some yellow and red variation.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2742/colourzx3.jpg

It was an entertaining video Mike!

Justin
Justin,

I went back and checked as I had done a little correcting and thought it looked dull in your picture too, and found that the effect was toggled off during the render. I redid it though, and punched it up to about what you had and it looks much better now. I did not change my submitted movie, just mine.

Thanks again----Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!