DVC#6 - Mike Teutsch "Man's Best Friend" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

DVC#6 - Mike Teutsch "Man's Best Friend"

Hi all,

Well I managed to get another one done, and I hope you all like it.

Had someone to help with the camera this time, but all he could do was turn it on and off when I needed it done, but that in itself was a big help!

Used the XL2, and a good Bogan/Manfroto tripod combo. Should have used sunscreen too, and I paid for that.

My co-star is a new member to my family, about 2 months, and Sadie is the sweetest little girl in the world. I think she stole the show!

If I can answer any questions, just let me know. Thanks to all of the people who make this possible, and especially to Dylan and Chris.

Mike Teutsch
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Socrates (470 - 399 BC)
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Mike, I saw that you posted your feedback thread in the wrong place so I started one here for you.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It was a wonderful little video, funny too. It was a great idea and Sadie does an impressive job. The colours were a bit dull though, but you can colour correct it for the future if you want. It's really simple, in the editing app, there should be some colour corrections tools. I just took a screen cap to show you what is possible. All I did was fix the black and white levels and put in some yellow and red variation.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2742/colourzx3.jpg

It was an entertaining video Mike!

Justin
Justin Tomchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Wrangler

Okay, Mike---this is by far my favorite movie to this point. I loved it!

Even though it's obvious where the "X" is going to be, I laughed out loud at your exclamation/acting. Actually, all your voiceover work (I'm assuming it was voiceover!) was excellent. The grunts, the exclamations....I'm laughing just thinking about the whole thing again! That shot of you when you put two-and-two together about Sadie and the treasure: PRICELESS.

And Sadie! Gosh, it's as if she's a professional actor! What a doll! ('bout time I got to see her ;)

Your cutting was superb (glad you did all that extra tweaking on the last day!), timing was perfect, in my opinion.

I could go on and on, but should leave something for others to say. Thank you so much for the great entertainment. BRAVO!!!!!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Sadie Stole the show. very cute. I thought the voice was good. very realistic if it was a voice over, can't even tell. I agree with Lorinda that the timing of the shots was great. It was a little washed out looking but I liked it. Kind of gave it that hotter than hell look. I hope someone helped you dig those holes. Just an overall great short and fun to watch.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Mike, I saw that you posted your feedback thread in the wrong place so I started one here for you.
Thanks Michael,

I did not notice I put it in the wrong thread! We Mikes have to stick together. :)

Thanks again,

Mike
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Tomchuk
It was a wonderful little video, funny too. It was a great idea and Sadie does an impressive job. The colours were a bit dull though, but you can colour correct it for the future if you want. It's really simple, in the editing app, there should be some colour corrections tools. I just took a screen cap to show you what is possible. All I did was fix the black and white levels and put in some yellow and red variation.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2742/colourzx3.jpg

It was an entertaining video Mike!

Justin
Justin,

Damn, where we you when I needed you? Thanks for helping. I'll work on it later, too late now. I'm new to this so I'm still learning.

Mike
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fossenkemper
Sadie Stole the show. very cute. I thought the voice was good. very realistic if it was a voice over, can't even tell. I agree with Lorinda that the timing of the shots was great. It was a little washed out looking but I liked it. Kind of gave it that hotter than hell look. I hope someone helped you dig those holes. Just an overall great short and fun to watch.
Michael,

Thanks for the nice comments. Believe me it was hotter than hell! And, no, I didn't have any help with the hole, but I did bring a shovel! :) I was exausted when done and actually hurt. When trying to get the box out of the hole, as you can see in the video, it was too deep to just pick it up, too off balance and I kept getting pulled in, and that is why I had to get in. The last time I hit my head pretty hard on the side, all the weight on my neck and head, and pinched a nerve or slipped a disk in my neck. I kept going, but when I got out of the hole the thumb and index finger were numb, along with half of my arm, but still kept going. The numbness went away about 95% now, but still not cleared up and my arm and neck is giving me problems, so it looks like an eventual trip to the doctor. Now I just have to figure out what to tell them when they ask how it happened!?!?!?!?

Yes, It was a voice over, just too noisy on the beach.

Thanks---Mike
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
Okay, Mike---this is by far my favorite movie to this point. I loved it!

Even though it's obvious where the "X" is going to be, I laughed out loud at your exclamation/acting. Actually, all your voiceover work (I'm assuming it was voiceover!) was excellent. The grunts, the exclamations....I'm laughing just thinking about the whole thing again! That shot of you when you put two-and-two together about Sadie and the treasure: PRICELESS.

And Sadie! Gosh, it's as if she's a professional actor! What a doll! ('bout time I got to see her ;)

Your cutting was superb (glad you did all that extra tweaking on the last day!), timing was perfect, in my opinion.

I could go on and on, but should leave something for others to say. Thank you so much for the great entertainment. BRAVO!!!!!
Lorinda,

Thanks, you are a great audience! Sadie is great! She is a rescue from the Atlanta Humain Society. She was adopted by a niece of a friend of mine in Atlanta, but they kept her in a cage about 20 hours a day, and when she would get out, she would run away whenever she had the chance. I saw her on a trip there about 4 months ago, and when I found out that they were going to take her back to the shelter, a asked to have her, and that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. She has never been in the cage since and and cowers and runs if she even gets a glimps of it. All she wants to do is play and sit in my lap or be held. You should see her chase birds at the beach, and getting all wet! I'm sure she will find her way into future movies too.

I will work on the coloration, as it is a weakness of the XL2, so I need to learn correction better. I can usually get the story right, but need more experiance with the color correction.

Thanks again---Mike
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Did you really eat those dog biscuits? If so, you gained some points with me! Anyway my favorite movie of Day 2. I loved the fast motion sequences. I knew it was going to be doggie treats but I had a hearty laugh when you took a "bite" out of it and then shrugged. Awesome work!
John Brickner Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:16 PM   #11
Wrangler

i'm so delighted that someone is carrying on the time-honored DV Challenge tradition of making dog movies! welcome to our club! so far, kris holodak and i are the only other members. (greg boston threatens but so far, he's all hat, no cattle....) great to have you aboard, mike!

this is my favorite so far, and not just because it features a cute doggie. i love the guy and the gentle humor of the whole thing, when they're sharing the animal cracker. and when the map takes him to the place he started...

the whole video just has a wonderful sweetness about it.

wish i could vote!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
i'm so delighted that someone is carrying on the time-honored DV Challenge tradition of making dog movies! welcome to our club! so far, kris holodak and i are the only other members. (greg boston threatens but so far, he's all hat, no cattle....) great to have you aboard, mike!

this is my favorite so far, and not just because it features a cute doggie. i love the guy and the gentle humor of the whole thing, when they're sharing the animal cracker. and when the map takes him to the place he started...

the whole video just has a wonderful sweetness about it.

wish i could vote!
Thanks Meryem,

It's funny, but there was no forthought in ending up on the blanket. When I did the first take I walk out of the camera and so on the second I was trying to stay in camera and as I was walking back and noticed that the blanket was dead ahead and added the reaction. Just lucky I guess. Or is that what they call acting?!?!?!? :)

Sadie will be back!

Mike
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:29 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brickner Jr
Did you really eat those dog biscuits? If so, you gained some points with me! Anyway my favorite movie of Day 2. I loved the fast motion sequences. I knew it was going to be doggie treats but I had a hearty laugh when you took a "bite" out of it and then shrugged. Awesome work!
John,

Man I tried to take a real bite of the biskets, but only got a small piece, and a grain of sand. They are hard! But, Sadie can take one apart in no time! :)

Thanks--Mike
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:20 PM   #14
Major Player

Mike,

Great little story. I keep expecting to see a DOLLY shot :) but very entertaining. I didn't think of it while watching the movie, but it makes sense that it was all voice over. You blended the ocean in the background perfectly, it didn't occur to me while watching it that it was V.O.

I live in Atlanta so next time you get up to see your daughter, send me a note and we can get together for a beer or two.

Dick
Dick Mays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Mike:

I gotta stop watching these late at night. Dylan actually put you guys up just before midnight, and I ran through all of them... just didn't get excited because I was tired. Just watched it again, and I thought it was great job.

Old guys rule, and I can say that because I'm 56.... And we actually can tells a story with a beginning, middle, and an end....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!