DVC 6 - Lorinda Norton - Mirage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!

Old August 24th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #16
Major Player

Ohhh, and by the way, Aren't you a DVC winner???
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #17
Wrangler

Heh heh. That seems like a long time ago, and I've managed to lose ground rather than gain it, which frustrates me a lot. Plus, wouldn't you agree that since guys like you graced this Challenge the bar has been raised considerably? I'm completely overwhelmed by the talent here.

Btw, I'm no stranger to "I don't get it." But I apologize...shouldn't come across as such a Sad Sack. Forgive? :)
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #18
Major Player

Ummm no. You're mistaking me for Bill Gardner.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #19
Regular Crew

DVinfo-ers and beer...

Technically, this video was pretty good. I was impressed by the exposure, how you were able to capture both the blue sky as well as the subject. However, I did notice a shot, close to when they first get to the bar, where the exposure fluctuated a little bit. It wasn't too bad, but it distracted my attention. I too noticed the crane shot. It gave an interesting feel; I liked it.

A few other minor suggestions: I think the "shi..." should have been interrupted a tad sooner. It seemed to me like he had time to say the whole word. Also, it seemed like the bar tender spent a little too much time with his tricks, but, maybe not. That's more of a personal decision.

The bar looked great. It looked like it could have been a functional establishment. I also liked the end, where the arms reach out and take the beer.
Colton Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I think this one looks really good. The acting might not be up to your usual but it still works fine - I find it funny that we don't find out just what these guys are doing roaming the countryside loaded for bear. Nice job on the spit-and-bailing-wire bar prop!

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #21
Wrangler

DV Info-ers and beer...I started to tell you what kind the guys had there, Colton, but it may have triggered yet another round of which beer is best. We've almost exhausted that topic on this site. Not quite, but almost.

What was up with that exposure change? I ran into that a few other times but was able to cut it. I shoot in all manual, so that still puzzles me. Of course, that was the least of my editing problems. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton Davie
I think the "shi..." should have been interrupted a tad sooner. It seemed to me like he had time to say the whole word.
Don't I know it! LOL!! If you saw how many takes we shot right there trying to get my nephew to step in earlier! I couldn't believe it, but we all got some laughs out of it. Might have something to do with Jay's observation, I guess. ;)

Thanks for the comments, and I'm glad you guys liked the bar. In making that I found out that some table saws are actually pretty cool.
Old August 25th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #22
Major Player

The guys seemed to be stepping on each other's lines when they first meet the bartender, and I'm also of the opinion that the bartender went on with his tricks for a touch too long (impressive as they were). The fade outs didn't seem necessary, either.

You do great comedy, Lorinda, I really enjoyed this film. I expected the bar to disappear as soon as the one guy mentions that "you can't lean on a mirage", leaving them to fall on the ground, but it works very well as is.

I still want to find out where they're going, perhaps a sequel is in order the next time your son is home?
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #23
Major Player

Lorinda,

Very clever story. It was fun to watch.

I must agree with Robert and Colton's comments on what could have been better, but hey, you entertained me, and it's all about learing and as the DV Challenge web site states: "It's cheaper than film school."

Keep up the good work,

Jim
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #24
Wrangler

Thanks for the comments, guys; I will try to keep them in mind. I let too many thoughts crowd in when I’m shooting, like wondering if the guys are getting frustrated waiting on me—stuff like that. Soon as that happens I start cutting corners.

Robert, there most likely won’t be a sequel with these particular loved ones, so I’ll tell you what I was thinking. (I grinned at Jay’s comment because that was part of the convenient gag for me—no one really knows. Lol) It's not until the credits that you find out they are part of a militia. Now, we all know that these militia guys go on maneuvers, right? To keep on their toes? Ha ha—I really have no idea. My son is in his last year of ROTC at school; next year he’ll graduate as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army and begin his service. In his training they do lots of land navigation; that’s what got me thinking along those lines.

And James, entertainment is always my highest goal, so what you said makes me happy. I'll keep working on that other stuff. :)
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Lorinda, that was very entertaining. If that was your goal, you definitely succeeded in achieving it. Superb job technically...couldn't find any faults. If there is one thing, it's just a slight wind noise outside. Did you use some kind of Rycote softie on the mic?

One question. Did you intend the location to be in America somewhere, or out in Iraq/Afghanistan? I thought the latter when I first watched it. I'm scared of going to Idaho if everyone totes around those guns. (I'm Canadian...heh, guns are foreign to us).
Eric Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #26
Wrangler

No, Eric, after all these Challenges and all my complaining about the wind, I still haven’t bought anything for that mic! Occasionally, I wrap part of a feather boa around it, but didn’t use anything this time. I’m gonna pry open my change purse and get something.

I opted for U.S. soil and militia (civilians) all the way. LOL about Idaho and its guns!! The overwhelming majority of gun owners here are very responsible, so you’d be just fine. I’ll admit, there are lots of ‘em, though! (No one should come sneakin’ into my house unannounced.) ;)

I’m gonna watch your movie pretty soon! See you in a bit!
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Lorinda, Pretty funny story. My personal opinion is the guys were complaining just a little too much for getting free beer! Sounds like the tiki bar was a lot of work. I am amazed at how much work so many people go through for this fun. And as you said, the competition is tough. Good work again. Congratulations.
Bruce Broussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:05 PM   #28
Trustee

I can understand one week vs four from previous challenges. Kinda sneaks up on you when it's day 4 and you're still running spell check on the dialogue...

Maybe we get too serious, too ambitious, or treat it like a paying job (like I did with mine). This was not some folks having a beer and playing around for an afternoon. One week is very short for all of us, and we have to understand that there will be mistakes, shortcuts, etc. Thus it puts us all on an even playing field, and we are free to look beyond the edits and judge the storyline or punchline.

I like this one. The fact that two good ol'boys were out in the middle of nowhere and loaded to the teeth was funny enough. I didn't sense military, but more or less two boys with too many toys and not enough playground to use them.

The bartender struck me as more or less a good ol'boys 'savior'. Like a redneck guardian angel coming to their rescue.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #29
Wrangler

lorinda, you're scaring me. i promise not to come into your house unannounced. but, if by some twist of fate, i happen to get a little drunk and disoriented and start weaving my way to idaho, promise you won't start blasting away....i'm just a croc-wearin, sushi-eatin, tree-huggin animal guardian (that's what we call dog owners here...) and mean you no harm.

another fun entry. i have not had much time to watch many of these entries this time around, but this was quite fun. and we, the few the proud, in the gun club, i mean...the girls' club...gotta stick together.

another great job. certain themes seem to get repeated in these parts. beer. dogs. and yet, we always get to see beer and dogs done in wholly unique and different ways! yay for us!
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #30
Wrangler

Hey Meryem, we missed you this time around. But I hope you had a happy birthday. And don't worry; I look before I shoot. Ha ha! We'll see you next challenge.

Oh, Peter. I wish I could use the excuse you gave me, but I can't. Last challenge was the first time we were given so much time, so I'm no stranger to a week-long deal. Just goofed up, that's all. But that's okay. Funny, I fall into both extremes: I care a lot about the quality of my movie (can't see going to all the trouble, otherwise), and yet, I'm too lazy to get out there in between challenges and practice. But that's going to change....yes, that's going to change... ;)

Thank you, Bruce. You know all about going to lots of trouble for all this fun, don't you! Just computer sweat rather than tramping through the desert with a rickety tiki bar. And yeah, those guys were supposed to be ingrates, kind of not thinking straight because of the sun and heat. May have been a tad overstated. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!