DVC8 - Ronn "The Remote" Kilby - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old May 7th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Ronn:

Fun one. Enjoyed it thoroughly, and thought it was a great entry !! This is first one I looked at, but it looks like great start !
Thanks Chris - good to see another Golden State entrant :)
Ronn Kilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gardner View Post
Hi Ronn,

(my formal reply for the thread :). Nice job! Love the concept, the production, and particularly the costumes! :) Great to see creative problem solving like that...

Nice work,
Bill

Thanks Bill - especially for the guidance :)
And if you need some yellow latex gloves, just call me, okay?

Submitted with the utmost respect, your flatulence.

R.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brickner Jr View Post
Love the lightsaber on the belt. I was hoping he'd bust it out but oh well. Good work.
Thanks, John - the light saber was made for me by my son, Sean - it was a special gift :) I hope to find a way to "bust it out" in the next challenge.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh DiMauro View Post
Yes, your sphincterness? The planet Shlong? Yellow Playtex gloves? Very cute. First off, I enjoy movies where the working class shlub screws up and I love the deadpan, patronizing way Smeglar, the Central Command boss, treats him like a butt-kisser! And Valdor? He has a great movie face! That cleft in his chin serves him well. I agree: good green screen work, too. I liked the story and your style of movie making. I really liked the two central characters and hope to see them both again.
Hugh - I am not worthy :)

"Veldor" is my daughters' husband's brother - and fortunately for me, a damned good actor who has plenty of free time :)

Your comments gave me Prime Schlemga. Thanks.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley L Marlow View Post
Any movie that uses the word "sphincter" is A+ in my book!

Creating new words that can't be found in the dictionary is also terrific and I really enjoyed to goofy dialog. lol

Well done. This was a lot of fun and I thought you did a great job with the props and bluescreen too.
Thanks, Bradley - always nice when you can do something so "schlegma" and people still manage to get a kick out of it. May the Flatulence be with you.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry View Post
I also liked it. Good use for those left over 3" CDs too. Good humerous moments, good delivery overall (might have been tighter on Fearless Leader but everyone did well.)

Overall: Good stuff indeed.

Sean McHenry
"Leftover?"

I use them at LEAST once a year! We burned through FOUR on this production alone!

Thanks, Sean.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Graham View Post
Ronn,

This was one random film! At first I was like "waaah?", then I got to the CDs for ears and was like "waaaahhh?!". Haha, the costumes were funny, and the green screen work was pretty good. What program did you use? Also, did you have to mirror his reflection onto the floor by hand or was that a program setting like ultra?

I agree with Bryon on the 'Click' feeling...but who cares. It was funny.
Hey Brent - warms my shlarga that it made you laugh. Thanks for the feedback. I edited and composited in Avid Media Composer. No Ultra. Every time there's a reflection, I made a mixdown of the composite that I then flipped and moved on the y axis, made transparent, cropped and defocused. Then I keyed the original over it in the correct position. Kinda low-tech but it works, and it's only 3 minutes, eh?

Thanks again.

Ronn

Last edited by Ronn Kilby; May 7th, 2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamey Hastings View Post
Hey Ronn,

I really loved your concept! Nice job doing comic sci-fi in 3 1/2 minutes! I watched it twice and both times the phrase "all schlangmar could ensue" just cracked me up! Great job with your dialogue! Nice play on the word "universal remote" too!

There was only one thing that confused me...Why did the normal remote cause the bomb to go off while the universal remote he sent only change the channel? Did the fun aliens reprogram it? Was the gift to Eartha (lol awesome name by the way) designed to blow things up? lol one little line about this might've clarified a bit....or maybe I'm just slow picking up on the sci-fi :)

Overall totally enjoyed your movie! G'job!
Jamey*

Sorry for the confusion, Jamie - the universal remote actually reprogrammed the Black Remote - deleting access to channels that would alter history. I probably could have made that more shmegmar with a just a few lines of dialogue. I'll put that on the "Director's Cut List." And yes, Eartha needed to blow some stuff up on the planet Shlong as part of her Interplanetary Anthropology project.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback - always good to know someone got a chuckle :)
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
And yes, Eartha needed to blow some stuff up on the planet Shlong as part of her Interplanetary Anthropology project.
Hehe...I sense there could be a sequel to this one! You guys must've come up with so many funny things with these characters that just couldn't fit into this one! lol Maybe we can meet Eartha next time! :)
Jamey Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion, Jamie - the universal remote actually reprogrammed the Black Remote - deleting access to channels that would alter history. I probably could have made that more shmegmar with a just a few lines of dialogue. I'll put that on the "Director's Cut List." And yes, Eartha needed to blow some stuff up on the planet Shlong as part of her Interplanetary Anthropology project.

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback - always good to know someone got a chuckle :)
Actually what a lot of folks don't realize is that when you're dealing with a 3-4 minute format you just don't have the "room" to make details too clear. If one tries to include much supportive detail there isn't enough space to tell any kind of story.

What you did hung together very well, was extremely entertaining, funny, and the imagery very well done.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #26
Major Player

This was really entertaining to watch. I thought the work with the blue screen was excellent, the actors really seemed to fit in to their space. And the acting was just right- reminded me of some tv episodes that took themselves more seriously, with the acting being good but silly at the same time. Great job!
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #27
Major Player

All being said already, really liked the CD's idea, funny DIY SF attire :) Good story as well with a bright side ending.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #28
Major Player

Awesome dude...

Best line in the film "we could blame it on area 51 or maybe the Bush presidents"! I loved it.

How did you get a hold of the nuclear explosion and earth footage?

My only comment would be that you could kind of tell that the overlord guy was reading his lines some...but what else can you do on limited time and such a rich script? it worked.

Nice film lots of fun to watch.

Thanks for the sillyness!!

Jeff
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Mucho Thankos, Lorinda. Some of the more esoteric details should be credited to my son, Sean. The two "alien" actors also brought their own ideas to the session, most of which I had to "reel in" due to them being over the top - which is just the way I like it! Really creative guys who love doing this stuff. The main thing is we all had a great time and many Cervezas before the shoot was done.

I promise a more studied solution next challenge :)
See? Another visionary who introduces spirits to enhance an actor's on screen performance!

HEY! I'm Finally a TRUSTEE! Thank you, Your Royal Sphincterness, for being the post that promoted me! I'm gonna celebrate with a bottle of Shlarg, XO of course!
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #30
Major Player

What a fun video!!! Bluescreen work was well done. Reflection was a little strong, but I ain't complainin'. I have to dig out my green screen now and play with it. Good job!
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > DVC Feedback!