Under Another Sun - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Marc,

Very nice and interesting film you have made here. A good story!
For the most of it, I didn't mind the blueish colors of the first part. To me, that added a cold feeling and I think that matched the story.
But the clip of the rain hitting the ground at 0:14 appear too much purple. I'd try to correct this to have it match the more blue colors of the clips before this.

With this film you proof that we don't always need top end gear to make quality film.
Thank you for sharing!
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #17
Major Player

Hi Marc,

Truly an engaging project! Your sensitive touch and empathy for the feelings and perspectives of the dying and those who care for them is wonderful. I also understood directly the tug between someone who has travelled a great deal and someone who wants to but is not ever quite ready to do it so needs to pushed (as in this movie) or pulled as is my experience with my wife who loves the experience of travelling to a new place and meeting new people, once I have dragged her there.

The scripting and edting kept the timing right on the beat of the story. Congratualtions,

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Lorinda, Trond, Alan, Cole, I appreciate the thoughts.

Will try to reply longer, and get to commenting on the other entries if I can.... Am under the gun at work right now though, with Brazil facing its worst natural disaster since 1967.... Back soon, I hope.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #19
Trustee

I was totally captivated by your story and the way you told it. I don't feel like your actress failed in any way to portray compassion for the patient, the scene of her reading to him conveyed that very well.

This is one of the more powerful "shorts" I've seen in a while.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #20
Wrangler

Marc, I enjoyed your film very much.

I do agree with Lorinda and Andris about the compassion/bond thing, although in honesty it would be the dying man's emotional bond to his caretaker, not necessarily hers to him, that would need to show through. Even though the story still comes through clearly as it is, I think it would have been of benefit to develop their personal relationship a bit more, to motivate the dying man's gift.

Color grading...well, it's art so no right or wrong. To my eye, you did a very nice job of it. Liked it.

Very nice work!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #21
Wrangler

some beautiful ambient shots and lighting....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey, well I'm back after a spending a few days in the middle of Brazil's flood disaster zone, reporting on the destruction there (you can see some of my video footage here: YouTube - In Brazil, residents abandon buried town -- very unlike the DVChallenge).

So I've missed replying while I was away -- apologies. Where were we?

Lorinda, and Andris and Pete, yeah, I can see why the compassion could have been ramped up. I spoke to the actress about it. I had asked her to act like a professional nurse for the part -- which was easy because she used to be a professional nurse! This was her actual bedside manner (though not terminal patients). I think she got a bit miffed when I told her about the feedback that she might be more compassionate. Something about handling lots of patients and not giving them any ideas, I guess. Well, next time I won't cast her as anything she knows, and we'll see how that goes.

Trond, as I said, I'm still learning about grading. Maybe that part you mentioned was off. But I really liked the effect. And after spending the past few days in real rain, and mud, and bodies, well having nature pushed into unlikely colour is refreshing.

Alan, travel is one of my great loves. Professionally and personally, I love to see all places. You should get your wife out as often as you can -- before global warming turns the world into desert! I appreciate your comment about the timing and beats of the story -- I was intent on trying to find a balance through the acts, and damn but it's hard!

Bruce, that's most complimentary. I'm gratified that I managed to touch at least one of you out there. Trying to achieve resonance without sliding into mawkishness is a tough deal, and in the end so subjective.

Pete, I'm happy to hear that you, with your experience, gave me a pass mark for grading.... Still, any tips you have would be appreciated, especially as you manage fantastic day-for-night, which is something I mean to try.
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Marc,

Being so late on commmentary there is not much to say that hasn't been said. I am actually mowst impressed weith the audio, so crystal clear for me and i am mid tone deprived in hearing.

The contrast in color grading was suitable even if the reds seemed a little to saturated at the end.

It was a solid piece that addressed the theme, "perspective" perfectly.

thank you for taking the time!!!!!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge