Nature's Reset Button at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge

The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge
Our contest series unites for a common cause...

Old January 12th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #1
Wrangler

Nature's Reset Button

The title makes me laugh because I remembered (too late) that newer computers don't even have reset buttons anymore. Oh well, my friend who used it in reference to gaining perspective did say he is a dinosaur when it comes to technical things, so I guess that makes me one, too. :)

When Brett agreed to be the subject of this video I was overjoyed. Not only have I been trying to get him in front of a camera for a couple years now, he was my last hope for getting an entry submitted this round.

One of my sisters accompanied us, so the three of us got to spend a highly enjoyable afternoon appreciating the high desert. Hope you enjoyed meeting Brett and the huge playground that helps him keep his balance. (Although, he did lose it while carrying my camera and tripod down a steep hill…now I owe him a pair of jeans.)

Old January 12th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow! That frozen waterfall was amazing. Great video.
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Lorinda, that was lovely. And what a great subject! How did you find him? I really enjoyed everything about that doc. - just finished watching it a second time. The V.O. audio is lovely (and having just done some myself I know it's no mean feat) and that frozen water was extraordinary - I thought I was looking at a still for a good while...

Please do thank Brett for showing us round.
Henry Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I hope the kitten got better?
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Lorinda, lucky for us you're not a competition entry!

Some very nice images there, and you had good talent in your vet/cop/hiker guy who not only had a relaxed talking style but also a vocabulary that brought emotional impact. Good stuff.

The only things I'd suggest would be to limit the number of zooms. A good zoom that reveals something is fine, but in many cases it just yells "video" I think, and the landscape you had could speak for itself. Pans and tilts, fine (you did a good one when your talent was looking at a niche), but I had the impression the head of the tripod was a little stiff or difficult sometimes? The moves were smooth but not quite smooth enough (of course, I know I wouldn't be trucking my heavy Sachtler along a hiking track just to get ultra-smooth pans.... I'd prefer a lighter Slik or something that MIGHT give me a pan with some effort, but I'd mainly just use it locked off.) Also, you needed some cutaways in the vet surgery.... It was too much like jump cuts there (which you can do if you change the angle and/or size of what's being framed -- or even a zoom!).

Nice audio quality on the voice. It was a lavalier mike during an interview?
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Oh, and on a 2nd viewing... I see shadows at 3:23.... That's you and a couple of grips?
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Wrangler

It's going to be such a pleasure telling Brett his first effort in front of a camera brought favorable reviews! :) He was pretty self-conscious and perhaps a little embarrassed about being showcased as he was. Brett has been my veterinarian for about fourteen of the twenty years he's been in practice. He is also my friend and target-shooting partner. Just a great guy and, it appears that his voice, words and speaking style conveyed that to you. I am so pleased about that.

Not sure about the kitten. Talk during the visit was that he either suffered neurological damage from an undetected high fever or possibly has a "dry form" of FIP. In the case of the former he will never have "normal" function but can live a very happy life. In the case of FIP he won't be long on this earth.

Under usual circumstances I am a self-admitted "zoom snob" and you wouldn't have seen even one zoom in the project. Time constraints (15 minutes at the clinic before Brett had to go on patrol) and my desire to be as unobtrusive as possible kept me from repositioning there.

The tripod! Offered to me right before we left by Rich because it had a ball head leveler that would make it faster on the hillsides. Against my better judgment I took it, and had a dickens of a time getting smooth pans. It's what I get for not using the trusty little tripod I know so well. We didn't get to the canyon until 2:30 so had to move pretty quickly before we lost our light. By the way, Marc, whatever shadows you saw couldn't have been my sister or me--we were far below in that shot.

For audio we tried to find a nook secluded from the breeze. I had an old AKG cardiod mic on a stand as close to Brett's mouth as he could stand. Surprisingly, there was an intolerable hiss that made me keep the level a little lower than I would have liked. Glad to hear the dozens of cuts I made weren't apparent.
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Wrangler

Forgot something!

Ray, thanks so much for stopping by. Might we see you in the next challenge as a participant? Hope so!!! :)
Old January 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #9
Trustee

Hey Lorinda:

Nicely done! So.... is this the reason behind the name "Blue Jean Video", your film subjects require a new pair after your productions? :)

This is a beautiful film and I became intimately involved... with the story, with the vet and with the canyon.

I loved what he said about the canyon reinventing itself with the seasons.

Thanks for hosting such a fun and rewarding challenge. I must admit though, this time it has been wonderful to sit back, relax and watch all the creative work roll! :)

Cat
Catherine Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Wrangler

Thank you, Ray, Henry, Marc, and Cat for taking the time to stop in and chat. Your comments are all much appreciated. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Russell View Post
So.... is this the reason behind the name "Blue Jean Video", your film subjects require a new pair after your productions? :)
Ha! Usually, I get by with food.
Old January 12th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Lorinda,

A very nice and interesting story you tell here. And the hiking makes me feel right at home. I love hiking in the mountains.
Good choice of music too. It fits well to the film.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I'm a sucker for desolate imagery, and I must say that frozen waterfall is a doozy.
How wonderful that you were able to capture on camera.

As far as making your subject likeable, showing him working with cute kittens is a surefire way to put your viewers on his side.

I thought this was a nice piece. Well shot, and a good look at the character and landscape simultaneously.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Seidl View Post
As far as making your subject likeable, showing him working with cute kittens is a surefire way to put your viewers on his side.
No kidding! I thought the same thing. Quite the break; I didn't get there until the last appointment of the day so didn't know what I would be recording.

Speaking of the kitten, I got an update. He is doing quite well without any course of treatment--walking much better and not bobbing/weaving like he was. More than likely he will reach a level of improvement and then be stuck with whatever impairment is still there. But he's acting like a happy cat so I guess that's all that matters.
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Major Player

Hi, Loridna!

This video greatly resonated with me, because I also enjoy hiking very much and have many serious responsibilities during my working week.
After seeing this video I think that I too should hike at least once a week.
Thank you and your crew for this! :)

p.s. Very lovely nature shots, the frozen waterfall was great.
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Lorinda,

I lived most of my professional life in cities, but grew up in the country (north shore of Lake Superior). When I retired, the countryside called again, so here I am living in the country. Everyday I understand the renewal of perspective that even a brief walk in the bush or across a field can bring. Nicely done with great attention to detail.

Congratulations on an engaging story.

Alan
Alan Emery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > The DV Challenge > The DVC / UWOL Charity Challenge