Bride Keeps Damaging DVD's... and blaming ME! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old September 13th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bec View Post
You can get 1hr 30min on a DVD at very good quality but never use +r always use -r they are more compatible.
I agree, DVD-R are much more "universally compatible" with many many players as compared to +r. Also, I find Taiyo Yudens the absolute best blanks on the market. Their watershield glossys are fantastic.
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Anyone had experience with authoring a DL disc and sending it off to discmakers or another reputable replicator and having problems in the finished replicated DVD-9 disc? They will except a DL master disc and will replicate that way in lieu of DLT tape. They claim that whatever is on the master disc is what will come out. I guess my real question is, is the problem that everyone has with DL disc the dvd player compatibility or the media itself? Will a replicated disc from a DVD+/-DL disc have the same compatibility problems?
Jim Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #48
Trustee

I doubt it. They are complaining about the media, not what is on it, if you are following the spec.There is a small chance that you might be bumping up against the MPEG-2 bit rate ceiling (9800kbps) in which case the DVD player might skip a beat, but other than that I would suspect the media.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
I agree, DVD-R are much more "universally compatible" with many many players as compared to +r. Also, I find Taiyo Yudens the absolute best blanks on the market. Their watershield glossys are fantastic.
Does anyone have the source for this compatibility difference ? I once saw to be a source that showed a nearly insignificant difference between +R and -R, although for a while, some DVD manufacturers (notably Philips) would reject either -RW or +RW .

The ability for a +R to behave as a DVD-ROM by setting its booktype should make +R much more compatible in older players.

I had a lot of trouble with DL, either +R or -R until I settled on a good writer. My Sony, NEC and , worst of all, a SATA Plextor 755A all had trouble producing a DL without errors during verification. I've had zero trouble with write errors using Verbatim DVD+R DL on a BenQ DW1655 and DW1670 as well as a decent write speed at 6x. Now, playing that same disk on various DVD players is another story.

As for your bride's manhandling of your disks, it is entirely possible that the DVD player is killing it (caught in multidisk changer) or that she is storing the disk on a surface that is causing scratches, both of which aren't active damage. So, she blames you. I used to think it was ok to keep a DVD on paper on my table until I lost a very important disk.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring