4X DVD-R and Pioneer 103 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old July 11th, 2003, 06:35 AM   #1
Major Player

4X DVD-R and Pioneer 103

I've been buying miniCD-R media on the web and recently added some DVD-R to an order. My burner wouldn't recognize it as recordable, yes the firmware is up to date, until I stopped trying to record at less than 4X. Once I allowed it to autodetect the media speed it burned fine and plays through PowerDVD on the PC that burned it. My home entertainment deck (Proscan) sees the disk but won't put up the menu screen. It's played all my prior work on the older (original) media. Pioneer's site says that the 103 has a max burning speed of 2X for DVD-R, which selection resulted in failure to see a recordable disk. The next time I tried, it defaulted to auto for burn speed so I don't know what it burned at. Is there a question hiding here somewhere? I guess it's "does anyone using the 103 with newer media have any comment/suggestion on what I'm seeing or what I should be doing?" Might my relatively old Proscan simply not be equipped to read the media properly? The data rate incidentally was 7000 kbps, CBR.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:21 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

To the best of my knowledge 4x DVD burning media is pretty
unstable due to the lack of people burning at 4x. If your burner
is max 2x I suggest you buy max 2x media for now (which should
be easy to find because it exists a lot more than 4x). When
everything settles down the quality of 4x media probably has
increased.

Also Pioneer brand has a reputation of disliking certain brands
etc. Trying different brands might get you a disc that reads
(almost) everywhere.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

After 20 or so burns, I have no trouble using Ritek silver top 4x media on my Pioneer A04 DVD-RW burner.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Are you limited to 1x record speed when using your 2x burner with upgraded firmware to burn to 4x discs?
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

I wish I knew, Sam. The second time I tried a project on this media (4X) it went straight to autodetect speed, without indicating what that speed was. It played on the PC as did the first burn but was not even detected as a disk in my set top unit. I've just brought home a new JVC DVD player which claims to handle everything but vinyl records. I'm curious to see what it makes of these disks, but as in my favourite episode of "Pigs in Space", not until I've had some lunch.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #6
Major Player

Well, the new JVC has no trouble playing the 4X DVD-R media that the Proscan doesn't even see as a disk. Now that I have a set top style DVD player in the editing suite I've also discovered what others have suggested - that you can go to DV tape from the DVD player using the camera's AV-DV function. The disk I used is my own so it didn't test copy protection, which I believe Sony equipment is pretty serious about, but for archiving and recapturing when no better source is available it's pretty cool.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring