Printing of DVD's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old July 20th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Printing of DVD's

Hey I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with these new consumer printers that can print directly onto CD's and DVD's. Here is the link to the B&H page that has a printer like this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh4.sph/...#goto_features

it says "High-Quality Printing Directly On Inkjet Printable CDs and DVDs prints custom text and graphics at resolution up to 1440 dpi. the Included easy-to-use software and CD print tray produces professional results" I know that puting actual lables on DVD's can render them useless if not put on correctly etc. but I was wondering if printing directly on the media was different.

Thanks
Brian
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Apparently their site is down right now, but if it's the one I'm thinking of... the product seems to work as advertised. The guy who built my NLE has one at his office, and it puts out a pretty impressive disc.

Of course, there's ink costs as well as special disks... but it all works out in the long run - versus label creation and application. The end product looks very professional.
Old July 20th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I guess the link got screwed up...well its the Epson Stylas Photo 900. And thanks Doug for your insite.

Brian
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Brian:

Here's the ones I was thinking about:

http://www.primeratechnology.com/
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:32 AM   #5
Major Player

At less than $200 the Epson 900 is looking very tempting.
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Well I've read some reviews and you are right, it is tempting. There is also a more expensive version which I have a review for from CNET http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardwar...9119440,00.htm Hopefully this link works better than the last one. Apperentatly to print onto a CD/DVD it uses alot of ink so its probely not an every disk kinda thing but whatever. The ink costs about $31 for black and $41 for color i believe and you dont have to buy special ink for the disks. They do suggest that you buy blank disks, meaning there is just white on the top, not the name of the manufacture of the capicity of the disk etc.

Brian
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:19 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Verbatim sell DVD-R with a blank white label that can be printed on by ink jet or thermal. The Epson 900 works very well, the Epson960 at $360.00 works better
The 960 uses individual color carts so you only use what you need instead of a single ink cart
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 05:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I own the Espon 900 and it produces great results (once it is lined up correctly). Color is not very rich when compared to a full blown hi-res printout but great nonetheless. Note: you can only achieve the highest resolution print-out when printing to photo paper. Not when printing to CD or DVD.

I found the software to be very "consumer-ish" so creating a PhotoShop template is the way to go as Epson only provides one for the 960.

I purchased it for a recent DVD production I just wrapped up on and am expecting quite a few number of orders. Make sure the discs you order are "ink-jet" compatible as several companies advertise their discs as "printeable". Very easy to overlook and order. I know.
Matthew DeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Does anyone out there own a Epson Stylas Photo 960. I found this review of it and it sounds less than pleasing. Hopefully I can go out to a store and test it out myself before the family buys it. http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4505-65....html?tag=srch
Brian
Brian Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring