DVD Production for Worldwide Delivery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Production for Worldwide Delivery

Hi all - i have done some searching and can't really find an immediate answer to this.

Basically, i'm going to be shooting the GPC World Powerlifting Championships next week here in the UK on HDV 1080i50 with my XH-A1 (due to me being in PAL land). I shall be preselling DVDs of the event there and then, but will probably be shipping them out worldwide as the competitors are international. Most of them will be Eastern Europe and Russia, with the other from UK and West Europe (not sure if there are any from the US - didn't notice any on the list).

I need to be able to burn it region free so that it works anywhere i assume, but what effect with my framerate have on worldwide distribution?

I'm using FCS2 and therefore DVD Studio Pro 4 for DVD authoring.

Many thanks in advance!

Jo
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I would stick with PAL DVDs, those will play all over Europe; they will also play in most US players. In case you will have some US orders and the buyers report trouble, then I would re-author, but I forsee no issues at all.

Manufacturers have long forgotten about this Hollywood crazyness and make most players universal.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
BTW, the default set-up in DVDSP4 is Regions 1 - 6 and 8 enabled with Region 7 being "Reserved", so unless you change these settings in the Inspector, at least your Region setting should allow for universal play back. You can check for Regions in the Inspector window, Region/Copyright tab with the Disc selected in the Assets/Outline window under Outline.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Cheers guys - i was going to keep them all region dvds, just wasn't sure about the framerate issue. Hopefully i won't have a problem!
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Potts View Post
Most of them will be Eastern Europe and Russia, with the other from UK and West Europe (not sure if there are any from the US - didn't notice any on the list).
Jo,

Based on your expectations, PAL would be the best format for most of your customers. If you do however ship to the US, I would not expect PAL to work there - even today this is still a market that pretty much ignores that things other than NTSC even exist. My experience here as been different than what Ervin reports - I have three DVD players in my house, connected to different kinds of TVs, and the only one that plays PAL DVDs is the player that contains a PAL-to-NTSC conversion (regardless of the region).

- Martin
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Martin,

I have about as many PAL DVDs as I have NTSC - they all work just fine on all three of my players. Many of my friends bring lots of DVDs from Europe, and I never heard one complain that those DVDs won't play.

By law DVD players in the US are not required to play anything else then NTSC, but most manufacturers leave them "open", meaning they don't block the part of the decoding circuitry that handles PAL.
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Ervin,

That's good to know. The problems I've seen may be more related to the TV sets that I have, and not the DVD players. If the DVD player sends a PAL signal to the TV, that TV needs to be able to understand PAL, right? I've often been told that TVs sold in Europe over the last years widely support multiple standards (PAL, NTSC, SECAM), whereas the same is not true at least for the older, CRT-based TVs made for the American market. I don't have the data to confirm it, but it matches with my experience in my home.

- Martin
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #8
Inner Circle

No, it's not the TV sets; as far as I know, except if you buy some special order TV set, everything off the shelf only plays NTSC. It's the internal circuitry of the DVD players that does the conversion from PAL to NTSC.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring