Watershield DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 1st, 2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Watershield DVDs

I'm getting ready to put in an order for more printable dvds. In the past I had got standard printable media but I'm thinking of getting "Watershield" discs. Are these really water proof and do they decrease the image quality of the print? Btw, I'm using an Epson R800 and I'm not even sure the ink is waterproof. If that is the case then it wouldn't matter what media it is printed on.

I decided to test one of my printed disc by running it under the facet and I was shocked to see the ink immediately wash off. Anyways I think that clients wouldn't be to happy if they got something on it and it ruined the disc. I could spray them with a clear coat but I'd rather avoid that if possible.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I really don't know if they're "waterproof" as I try not to spill water on them BUT I do use the TY watershield discs with an Epson R200 and all I can say is they look great. A nice glossy finish colors look wonderful and better detail than the non glossy discs I used to use.

Just my opinion from using them for a while now.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi,

I use Watershield and like them. Highly recommend them, too.

Mike
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Inner Circle

thx don, I'll look at the cost difference between my current media and make the upgrade if its not that much with the expectation of improved image quality not waterproof. Sounds like clear coat spray is the best way to insure waterproof. I don't expect clients to put them under the facet but its very easy to get your fingers wet and smudge a cd or if they have kids...
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:39 PM   #5
Trustee

I always use Watershield disks, not because they're waterproof, but because of the much better print quality. A matte-finish disk looks like it came out of a printer, but the glossy look of a watershield disk looks like a screen printed disk. It has a far more professional look.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Major Player

I like them. A similar thread has been posted here before which caused me to do this little test

Simple Thought Productions Blog Archive Water Shield Printable DVD Water Test
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:35 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
I like them. A similar thread has been posted here before which caused me to do this little test

Simple Thought Productions Blog Archive Water Shield Printable DVD Water Test
you sir just sold me. thx
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM   #8
Major Player

No worries :) Glad I could help. As I noted on my site I have had what I consider the best luck and colors by setting my ink level below the default on my printer. Its in the advanced properties but will vary with each model including that ammount of ink used. I felt my HP printer put out too much and going down two notches seemed to do the trick plus it saves me a ton of ink but still looks great.
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chesarek View Post
No worries :) Glad I could help. As I noted on my site I have had what I consider the best luck and colors by setting my ink level below the default on my printer. Its in the advanced properties but will vary with each model including that ammount of ink used. I felt my HP printer put out too much and going down two notches seemed to do the trick plus it saves me a ton of ink but still looks great.
I would assume because the surface is less porous in needs less ink. Btw, I didn't realize how little I paid for my current dvds (prodisc @ $.25) vs TY @ $.65
Old September 1st, 2008, 07:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Yeah they do cost a bit more per disk. Its all part of my cost per DVD when selling.
Old September 1st, 2008, 10:38 PM   #11
Major Player

The print quality is much better and the smear-proof quality is great. One complaint, though - blacks are not nearly rich enough. I can't seem to get them to look right. If you stay away from a lot of black, you'll be all right.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Great demo video, Josh.

To go one further, the demonstration shows a person GENTLY rubbing the wet disc. In my test (which I didn't tape), I VIGOROUSLY rubbed my test disc after a one hour "drying" period and got zero runs. Amazing product. I don't offer Watershield yet in my business because I'm sitting on nearly 1000 T-Y NON-WS DVD-Rs I need to get rid of first and secondly, I LIKE the matte finish of the normal ones.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 04:46 AM   #13
Major Player

yeah, we didnt go too crazy on the scrubbing but I think we could of. Either way it was pretty obvious that the DVD was abused way more than I would allow a typical customer to do and it survived :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring