final cut pro to DVD studio pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

final cut pro to DVD studio pro

hello.
just needed a quick answer about two things.
compressing a 23.98 timeline and/or a 29.97 (24p) timeline to DVD studio pro: Mpeg 2 or mpeg 4. I see that mpeg 4 has a label for 24p, not knowing which it reffers to and understanding that mpeg4 is a crappier compression rate.

also
letterboxing. is it possible for a 16:9 image to be letterboxed on a 4:3 tv and 16:9 on a high definition tv like the store bought DVDs? that might be a lil bit of a process, so if you could either describe the steps from FCP to DVD or find a link other than an apple.com site cuz apple hasn't been very fun for figuring this out.

thanks
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

i can help with the first part:

I always export as mpg2 and use the standard frame rate which i believe is 29
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It should say 29.97 fps. You will be able to produce both the 4:3 and 16:9 if you use a type 18 DVD or DL -R or DL +R, however I am assuming you are on a G5 so -R. They basicly place two versions of the film on the disc, but you need that extra space to accomodate both versions. There currently is no way to flip on an option and have it do both. You just need to render two versions for disc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring