Looking for good DVD authoring software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 17th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for good DVD authoring software

hey guys,

Currently I use Adobe Encore 1.0 for doing my DVD authoring - and while it works, it crashed quite often and isn't the most user friendly tool to use (Plus I got it while in college, so I need to update to a business software licence and get legit).

Anyway, I am looking for some information on what others use for their DVD authoring. I'm looking for a program that will let me create and import in my own buttons, backgrounds, music, etc - and have the basic features of motion buttons, roll-overs, etc.

I have looked at Encore 1.5, but from what I understand - it still has some issues with it. ULEAD DVD Workshop 2.0 is also one that I am looking at as well, but I have not found too many reviews on it as of yet.

For non-linear editing - I use Avid Express 4.0, which in the infinite wisdom of AVID, does not come with the MPEG2 CODEC - so basically I export everything to Quicktime and then convert to MPEG2 using Cleaner. It would be really nice if I could get one program that would take the quicktime movie file (or an AVI) and convert it to MPEG-2 while also allowing me to author and burn the DVD.

So, does anyone have any suggestions?

Ryan
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Major Player

I really like DVD-lab. It's got a Maestro-like interface and the Pro version only costs $199. The only gripe is that it doesn't playback audio when you preview clips or set chapters. This is because it expects you to import your MPEG2 video and audio as elementary streams(seperate). When it compiles the DVD, it muxes the video and audio together itself, providing superior compatability. One user said he was able to turn in a burned disc to a reproduction house and they wrote him back saying that it was so compliant that they did direct masters off of it, instead of having to pick it apart and recompile it. Typically reproduction houses will not take DVD+/-R.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I use VEgas and DVD architect. However i would like to see better compressed mpegs.

What do you recommend me? I don need great menus, just high quality mpeg compression software.
Miguel Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:18 AM   #4
Major Player

download 'debugmode' frame server - it's free, and frame serve out to procoder, then import the mpeg2 into dvd architect
Matt Brabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 04:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DesRoches
Currently I use Adobe Encore 1.0 for doing my DVD authoring - and while it works, it crashed quite often
Have you installed the Encore DVD 1.0.1 update? You can get it at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Quote:
I have looked at Encore 1.5, but from what I understand - it still has some issues with it.
Get on a discussion board for any program and you'll find plenty of people who are having issues with it. You might want to give the Encore DVD 1.5 demo a try, and see if the issues you had with the 1.0 version have been fixed. You can download the demo from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

There are, of course, other good DVD authoring programs. I'm not that familiar with them as I am only using Encore DVD.

Quote:
It would be really nice if I could get one program that would take the quicktime movie file (or an AVI) and convert it to MPEG-2 while also allowing me to author and burn the DVD.
While DVD-Lab, which Stephen mentioned, is a good DVD authoring program, be aware that it does not include an MPEG-2 encoder, so you would still have to go through the same process you are now to encode your movie to MPEG-2.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I use ULEAD DVD Workshop 2.0 and have been very happy as I custom make most of my menus in Photoshop. It does have a lot of template if you just want to bust something out quick and it also has some nice menu overlays which help to add just that extra flair to what I brought in from photoshop. My main thing I like about it is that it is so simple to use. The last thing I need after a hard edit is a complicated process getting it t DVD. I have found that in this software.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM   #7
Trustee

I second DVD-LAB. I have been using it for 2 years now and it has never failed me. The interface is intuitive and easy to learn. Why not try the free download and judge for yourself.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams
I second DVD-LAB. I have been using it for 2 years now and it has never failed me. The interface is intuitive and easy to learn. Why not try the free download and judge for yourself.

Regards,

Mark
I've made DVDs that had intestinal tunnels and veins and whatnot that you travel through between menus and the switched menus are a blessing.

If I can think of it, I can construct it with DVD-lab.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks!

hey guys,

Thanks for the info - going to try DVD lab demo and see how it works. If it does what I want - then $200 doesn't seem that bad for it. . .

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan DesRoches is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring