Exported DVD from Encore, parts of it are choppy.. How do I fix it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 28th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Major Player

Exported DVD from Encore, parts of it are choppy.. How do I fix it?

Hey guys, just finally went ahead and burnt a DVD of the engagement video I had done for the couple whose wedding I am doing tomorrow, thought I'd bring it and ask if they wanted to play it at the reception. I seemed to have encore figured out, and it burned fine and auto played fine on my Xbox 360, but parts of it were choppy, like it was dropping frames or something. A lot of it looked awesome, but some of it definitely seemed choppy. It's all shot at 24fps, except for 2 shots which were shot at 60fps and slowed down. It was exported from Premiere CS5 in 1080p HDTV export, then pulled into Encore and burnt using its default settings.

Thanks,
Evan
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Exported DVD from Encore, parts of it are choppy.. How do I fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
parts of it were choppy, like it was dropping frames or something. A lot of it looked awesome, but some of it definitely seemed choppy. It's all shot at 24fps, except for 2 shots which were shot at 60fps and slowed down.
It's difficult to know what is wrong. Does the DVD look choppy when played back on a tube television using a standard DVD player? Here are a few possible problems with corresponding fixes:

1. The DVD player is experiencing read errors. Try making another DVD using a different brand of media.

2. Fast camera pans look choppy at 24p on a large screen. You can fix a too fast pan using motion interpolation to upsample your footage to 60p. Then master a 60i interlaced DVD.

3. You may have dropped frames that result from editing progressive segmented frames on a native 24p timeline. You can fix this by performing an inverse telecine on your source video before editing.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey, I'm not sure what it did, but I tried importing the whole premiere timeline into Encore using dynamic link, then exporting to DVD using the default settings and it worked perfectly! Whatever the problem was, it was somewhere between it being exported from premiere and imported to Encore.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Evan,

I noticed you said you exported to "1080p HDTV". That is likely the issue, involving that intermediate file conversion. If you wanted to export from Premiere a file to use in Encore, you would choose "MPEG-2 DVD Widescreen" as the Export format in Adobe Media Encoder. This results in an .m2v video and .wav audio file compatible with Encore. The audio will be transcoded automatically to Dolby AC-3 in Encore, and the video will be left alone. It is helpful to check the "Maximum Render Quality" button in AME as this increases the quality of the downscale, though it takes a bit longer to render.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring