Problems with Quality in DVD authoring at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 15th, 2006, 12:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Problems with Quality in DVD authoring

Hello, All,
Tonight I just put my new video on a DVD in DVD Studio Pro, and the resulting video is a little strange, especially in the black areas. I shot the footage in 24P Standard and edited it in Final Cut Pro HD. I then exported the video as a Quicktime movie using the current settings. The exported movie looks fine. It's when I imported the movie into DVD Studio Pro that the movie got a little weird. Is there a setting I need to adjust in DVD Studio Pro for the footage? I don't think the err resulted from the exporting of the movie from FCP. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Benjamin Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #2
Major Player

If you exported the footage out of FCP using Quicktime Movie with current settings it should be fine. The problem would be in DVDSP, see if these articles helps you out:
http://larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_dvd_export.html
http://larryjordan.biz/articles/lj_bit_rate.html

They talk about compression and all that fun stuff ;-)
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Nate!!!
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Crush the blacks a little; the compression really emphasizes noise in the dark areas.
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #5
New Boot

How do I go about crushing the blacks? They are a bit noisy, expecially on the black background against which my credits are set.
Old March 15th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Just add a 3-way colour corrector to your clips and drag down the slider under the blacks to crush them.
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #7
Major Player

If you see artifacting against a black matte 0,0,0 then all the crushing in the world won't do you any good since nothing is ever going to be darker than that. Make sure you're not compressing the video too much in DVDSP. Enable 2 pass encoding and higher bitrates to eliminate compresion artifacts. Good Luck, Jason.
Jason Varner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring