Trouble with DVD burning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old March 18th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Trouble with DVD burning

I have having trouble burning a good DVD from my video's.

I seem to get about 50% or more with a ton of pixelation and audio distortion to the point of a complete freezing up of the video.

I have been using RiData inkjet printable DVD discs and a couple different burning programs like Nero and Encore DVD. I have the same results from premiere elements when I use it to author the dvd.

Some of the discs come out fine, others no good at all. I have tried them on several players with similar results.

I initially thought it was my burner, a Sony Q28A so I went and bought a new Sony DRU 800A and I have encountered the same problem with it. Any ideas? Anyone? I know the original file must be good because I can make a disc that works fine then the next one from the same file is no good.

One thing...short videos seem to be fine, it usually occurs after about 20 minutes into the video.
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

From what you wrote, it sounds as if the only thing you haven't tried yet is changing the type of blank disk you are burning onto (would they all just happend to be from one batch too?). Give Verbatims a try.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
From what you wrote, it sounds as if the only thing you haven't tried yet is changing the type of blank disk you are burning onto (would they all just happend to be from one batch too?). Give Verbatims a try.
I bought a 200 lot of these....do you think they could be a bad batch? I always thought RiData were high quality
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree with Robert. You might want to try the Verbatims or Taiyo Yuden and see if that helps. Also what speed are the disks and what speed are you burning at? Does changing the write speed make any difference?
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #5
Major Player

just finished my basketball editing, and burned 13 dvd's for the kids. have a 100 pack from staples, and about every 5 one is defect. using Sonic program to copy (came with my pc, win based). even they ar rewritable, it would not work to re-write on them. so, i guess it must ne "normal"

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #6
Major Player

We burn thousands of discs a month using Micoboards Towers and Taiyo Yuden disks. We verify all discs and get less than one percent error rate. Twenty percent defective would have me pulling my hair out, or at least holding on line for tech support.
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Davidson
I agree with Robert. You might want to try the Verbatims or Taiyo Yuden and see if that helps. Also what speed are the disks and what speed are you burning at? Does changing the write speed make any difference?
The discs are 8x and I have been writing at 4x...is that a problem?
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Go 8x if you can. We used Ritek (Ridata) disks a long time ago, but gave up on them because of problems like you describe. With your new burner and better disks, I think you will get much better results.
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I had the same problem yesterday..I am trying TDKs to replace my Maxell DVD's. Is there any brand you would recommend?
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #10
Major Player

I had the same problem with my DVD, But I solved the problem by changing the burner speed to 2x and I used Verbatim DVDs and the most important thing is not to use sticky lables. use printable DVD only and you will never have problem again.
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh
I had the same problem with my DVD, But I solved the problem by changing the burner speed to 2x and I used Verbatim DVDs and the most important thing is not to use sticky lables. use printable DVD only and you will never have problem again.
Hey Michael

what's wrong with the sticky labels? I only started in the wedding video business and I dont think I can afford to spend on a DVD printer right now.
Billy Mallari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #12
Regular Crew

i use stickys all the time bit i have just started to notice that the dvd can muck up sometimes in slim dvd players. the worst i have heard and i have experienced was when my DVD player, Yes My DVD player caught on fire. thankfully know was heart and my house didn't burn down it was a close one. also for £70 pound you can get the EPSON R220. AMAZING printer. DVD/Photo printer. qaulity is amazing.
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #13
Major Player

Hi Billy ..

Sticky labels can put the DVD out of balance and just think if you leave it in your car in the summer time what would happen to it ! it is a problem that you have to deal with latter. you can buy an Epson Photo R320 for a very good price and can print DVD on it and looks so professional...
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #14
Regular Crew

i use the EPSON R220. BRILIENT PRINTER AND MUCH CHEAPER
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mallari
I had the same problem yesterday..I am trying TDKs to replace my Maxell DVD's. Is there any brand you would recommend?
In general you can't rely on the brand name. Nearly all brands source from different DVD media manufacturers. Some manufacturers produce good media, some poor media. Two of the highest quality DVD manufacturers are Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation and Taiyo Yuden.

You have to rely on the media ID to tell you whether the disk is good or bad. See this guide that tells you what is the quality of the different manufacturers, the media IDs, and which brands use which manufacturers.

A general principle is that the best media is manufactured in Japan.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring