Final version on my Shanghai film now up at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery
Post your 1D / 5D / 6D clips here... Vimeo links will automatically embed a player right in the post.

Old January 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #1
Final version on my Shanghai film now up
Dan Chung Dan Chung is offline January 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM

The final version of my recent film from Shanghai that I posted an earlier edit from is now online with english subtitles here YouTube - Forgotten Shanghai: The Longchang apartments

Dan

Dan Chung
Major Player
Views: 1780
Old January 26th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The apartment block reminds me of the movie Kung Fu Hustle.

Great detailed shots, anyway
Julius Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Apparantly the block was the inspiration for the 'Pig cage stronghold' in Kung Fu Hustle.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Dan-

I noticed your footage isnt showing much (if any) moire or aliasing -maybe its just the compression that is helping? Are you using any filters or doing any "tricks"?
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Do aliased 1080p videos ever show aliasing when downconverted to very compressed 720p? I dont imagine they would. I can see little soft steps that seem like they could be remnants of aliasing that would have been visible at full res, but its really too hard to tell after the downconvert.

Yeah first thing i thought of was kung fu hustle, too. Are there any other apartment complexes like that?
Noah Yuan-Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel View Post
Do aliased 1080p videos ever show aliasing when downconverted to very compressed 720p?
It depends. A single aliased edge often looks better when down-res'd. A whole shirt or tile rooftop that's shimmering will typically still shimmer no matter how much you filter and scale.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
The final version of my recent film from Shanghai that I posted an earlier edit from is now online with english subtitles here YouTube - Forgotten Shanghai: The Longchang apartments

Dan
Hi Dan,
A lovely documentary, some very nice compositions. I noticed on 1:36 to about 1:38, the scene with barking dog, you have a slow tripod pan and the frame kinda jumps. Did you have this on your original footage or is it only on internet playback. I'm asking this because I'm getting this similar frame shifting or jumping when I'm shooting on tripod.

It happens intermittently and you can see I couldn't replicate it again in the clip. The severity of the "shifting" varies from obvious (as in the clip) to very subtle. The lens was dislodged to set aperture. Exposure lock on. I've noticed the lower the ISO, the more obvious and frequent the shifting or jumping.

Sachtler V18 Tripod
Canon 24-70L 2.8
Shutter - 50
ISO - 250
fstop - 2.8
focal - 50 mm to 70mm

I'll send the Vimeo clip soon after it's finished uploading.

t
Tony Wu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD > EOS Full Frame Sample Clips Gallery