Has Anyone Tried The New QuickStream DV/HDV yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old March 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Has Anyone Tried The New QuickStream DV/HDV yet?

I'd like to know if anyone has tried the new QuickStream DV/HDV.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Give me a couple months:)
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes, you do need to get the firewire ports on your cameras working first!
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks for reminding me:) Its in the works I "THINK" I found a guy if it works out i'll post his info, man its going to be a tight year.
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If the repair goes well, I'd sure like to know. What did he quote you? I'm real careful with firewire ports, but it's always good to have options, should repair be needed someday.
Old March 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Trustee

Well I didnt get an exact quote yet, he told me that he doesnt normally work on JVC but he knows the problem. Its 3 ICs that need to be replaced he said its pretty much all labor. at least 3 hours @$100 an hour he said roughly $500-$600. I am in a unique situation I am a EIC for a TV station who is looking for a new bench tech to sub out to. So I think im going to get a look for free. Right now he is looking at my Sony DSR-30 which also ended up with a blown port (4 pin weird) I should here on that one tomorrow. When I feel good that he does good work at a good price I will let everyone know how to get a hold of him.
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I wrote to MCE and asked a few questions. These are the questions I asked and answers I got back:
(Q) I'd like to know what type of hard drive is in the QuickStream DV/HDV (PATA, SATA?).

(A) PATA

(Q) I assume you use 2.5" hard drives. Are the drives formatted using NTFS or FAT32?

(A) FAT32

(Q) Is there anything non-standard about the drives?

(A) No.

(Q) How accessible are the drives?

(A) Not terribly difficult to access.

(Q) Would it be difficult to replace the hard drive in a QuickStream DV/HDV?

(A) Not difficult, but it would void the warranty.

(Q) I would also like to know if you have any plans to market a removable flash memory version of the QuickStream DV/HDV anytime in the foreseeable future?

(A) Although there are currently no plans to incorporate removable flash memory, a non-removable solid-state hard drive is currently being tested and considered for future release.
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Trustee

I like the MCE over Firestore for a couple reaasons. 1. It mounts using a hot shoe or thread and GIVES IT BACK. unlike the Firestore which has a mount that leaves you without a light. Also its smaller and simpler I dont need my drive to do a bunch of fancy stuff I just need it to recorrd when I hit the trigger. I dont need displays to go bad and other junk. I do have 2 concerns 1. Im not crazy about fat 32 but I guess its o.k. 2. I read in another thread on this forum of folks having alot of problems with the citi-disk which I think this is a derivitive of. Something about losing footage if you dont power down properly or if the FW cable comes out etc. which scares the crap out of me.
I hope they fixed that.
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Trustee

I called MCE to get some info on the new drive, it sounds like a winner although the salesman didnt know about GY-HD100 support(even though its on their site) he did say without a tape you would get no timecode other than that it seemed o.k. if you were recording and something went wrong ie removal of the firewire connector the drive would close off the last file recorded. The cool thing is he said its pretty easy to open and upgrade the drive after the warrenty has run out of course. Its a IDE.
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Trustee

Anyone checked MCE latley? they now have a solid state version! Its pricey but a sign of things to come.
Old April 24th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #11
New Boot

cf to ide adapters

Hi any one know if you could swap the harddrrive in a firestore or MCE with
2 X 32GB CF cards and a CF to IDE adepter like this one

http://www.1topstore.com/product_inf...products_id=94
Roy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #12
Trustee

Give it a shot then write a tutorial.:) Seriously I dont know but I do know that MCE was pretty open about their hardware. I asked them if I could open it up and upgrade the drive myself (down the road of course) and they said sure its just a ide drive. Which I suspect the new solid state drive is just a ide solid state that you could put in after prices drop.
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Anyone checked MCE latley? they now have a solid state version! Its pricey but a sign of things to come.
I couldn't find it, do you have a link? Thanks!
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #14
Trustee

http://mcetech.com/quickstreamdv-hdv/index.html
Old April 27th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Oops, I missed the clickable circle on that page that moves you to the right page. Thanks!
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics