flash XDR, or....what else? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 10th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #1
Major Player

flash XDR, or....what else?

I am thinking of getting the ex3, and was told that a good accessory to have is the flash xdr, as I can record to 4 cf cards at 100mb/s, which should make it full HD in every sense of the term, correct?

my question, is the flash xdr the only device that allows this? I looked on BH and it sells for almost 5k. if I am gonna spend another 5k, I might as well get a different camera.

any thoughts?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
I am thinking of getting the ex3, and was told that a good accessory to have is the flash xdr, as I can record to 4 cf cards at 100mb/s, which should make it full HD in every sense of the term, correct?

my question, is the flash xdr the only device that allows this? I looked on BH and it sells for almost 5k. if I am gonna spend another 5k, I might as well get a different camera.

any thoughts?
Hi Ian-
You might be surprised! The new math to consider is ($8K + $5K) > $30K. The Flash XDR really improves the potential of your EX1/EX3 camera by bypassing the limitations of the 35Mbps 4:2:0 CODEC.

Take a look at some of the images in the CODEC Torture Test thread.
Old November 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Major Player

hey mike.

the math is definately in my favor....its just I dont think I will be able to swing another 5k right now....but the product looks pretty sweet, and definately makes the ex3 hard to beat....so maybe sometime down the road.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Major Player

Nanno flash ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
hey mike.

the math is definately in my favor....its just I dont think I will be able to swing another 5k right now....but the product looks pretty sweet, and definately makes the ex3 hard to beat....so maybe sometime down the road.
Your answer is the Nanno/flash at 50/100 mgs.! If you are looking to do uncompressed then it's the XDR.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics