Looking for a stable solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old January 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Tourist

Looking for a stable solution

I work at a school, where we have long interviews with parents, that has to be recorded for our therapists use
The therapists has absolutely no knowledge about video recording and/or software applications. And they have no interest in learning about it. I do understand that
What they need is, one button to press for record, and then a remote to ff through the interview to analyze it
There will be some editing. Mostly just to avoid the huge amount of storage

My idea is, to get a surveillance camera. No need for high resolution, and I guess its more stable then some Sony handycam (there is no surveillance
Then a device, that is only able to store and edit video. Absolutely not a Windows machine of any sort. Stability is the keyword again
Then a screen… Therapists do know how to control that kind of thing ;-)

If you think the simple idea about a surveillance camera and a recording device of some sort would work ok, then i would like help to guide me to some good devices. If you think of some other kind of setup, then im very open for inputs

Regards
Ib Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #2
Trustee

You could buy a macbook pro and an external firewire drive. The in-built i-sight camera could be used and it keeps it really simple. You can record direct into i-movie and then edit it there.
A USB external camera could improve the set-up and still record straight to the laptop.

Hope this helps.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ib Hansen,

You don't mention how "long" those long interviews are, nor how much of - and how long - you need to store the video. Also, what are they likely to be watching the video on ?

I'd bet a DVR / HDD Recorder, and a simple Camcorder would do it. The Cam would be pluged into the DVR Recorder via FireWire, no need to use the Cam itself as a recorder unit. You can do the simple editing necessary on the HDD of the DVR Recorder, and then put the video's out to DVD's for long term storage and ease of use. Also, you can make as many DVD copies as necessary.

The DVD's could then been viewed on any Computer, or DVD player - through any TV.

You can put from 1 to 6 hrs of video to a DVD, at lesser quality for the longer time's - but good enough for your purpose.

I think this would be as simple as you could get, for what you want to do.

Harold

Last edited by Harold Schreiber; January 26th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks to both of you

@Garry
I havent thought of a Mac. It would be a good unit to combine the screen and recording device, but i would need a better camera for sure

@Harold
The "long" interview could be up to 4 hours. Thats why storrage could be a problem. I cant think of any other idea then DVD, so the resolution has to be so low (or compresion so good), that a 4 hour interview can be under 4 GB. Thats math i can do, so no need for help there
Do yoy have an idea for a good HDD recorder with the abbility to edit the material and very userfriendly ?
Ib Hansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics