Would this be possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Would this be possible?

Hi, I am a Sony EX3 user who has adopted the far cheeper Kensington media reader/Transcend SD card combo costing less than 1/10 the price of using Sony's SxS cards.

Now those people at Transcend have just brought out a 192GB high speed 2.5" SATA II SSD drive that can read at speeds up to 150MB/sec. Now the question I would like to ask is could this drive be hooked up to the SDI out on the EX3 or any other camera with an SDI output. Does a suitable interface exist?

Would anyone care to comment, or I have misunderstood something, as if this were possible it would be far less expensive option of capturing uncompressed video. I have to admit that £3.5K for the Convergent design unit is a bit expensive for a minor player like me.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Eric, the logic would still need to be developed. Frame rate control, start/stop, frame size, codec to record with, etc. That is why the Convergent design is so appealing. Previously this had to be done on something like a Wafian at $15k+. To see Convergent do it for $3.5k on CompactFlash cards is amazing for the moment. In 5 years obviously, we'll be doing it for 1/3 that, but not yet.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics