DVR at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 12th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #1
New Boot

DVR

I was talking with my pops about DVR...

He says he can record 100hrs of clean footage on a piece of DVR hardware (for his dish) he bought for $100. Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to use it to capture digital footage.

There's got to be a way to hack it and attach a signal converter..

Any thoughts?
Old April 13th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #2
New Boot

I'm sure that was a TIVO option added to his dish. That being the case, it's acceptable by the majority of cunsumers, but not for pros/semi-pros who need a robust signal to edit with. TIVO looks about the same to less then VHS. I can't imagine going back to that quality now.

There are plenty of ways of doing something similar directly on your computer, with enough hard drive space, but the quality is going to be the same unless you drop hundreds to thousands of dollars on specialized hardware.
Kevin Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #3
New Boot

That's what I thought.

When he said it was a perfect picture quality, I already had my doubts.

VHS quality? Ouch.
Old November 25th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Unless it's HD

I have an HDDVR. The picture quality is perfect, but it cuts the capacity down to 30 hours
Kevin Foristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #5
New Boot

Is that built-in to your satelite service? Or a stand alone device? Can you store and edit at your will or do you have to only record broadcast? The big question... does it have a firewire output? The last would allow for transfer to a computer, probably as a transfer stream, that could then be de-muxed, edited, muxed and then transfered back to the HD-DVR. If it does all this, I would love to know where/how much...
Thanx for the input!
Kevin Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

TIVO DVR

The Tivo Recorder does not have VHS quality. It's encoder is pretty good and would equate it to around SVHS quality in a side by side comparison.
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics