Shooting over Firewire - Securing the cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics

Old October 13th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Shooting over Firewire - Securing the cable

This seems like a silly but non-trivial question. The four pin Firewire slot on my cameras don't seem particularly secure if I am recording to disk rather than tape. I would worry about knocking the Firewire cable loose, given that there is no mechanical connection to speak of. I can always fall back on gaffer's tape I guess.

Has anyone had this problems or have a particularly good solution to it?

Rick
Rick Spilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #2
Contributor

Hi Rick,

I am a big fan of hot glue. I have had success using a very thin film of oil spread with a q-tip around the area of the Firewire jack on my camera. I then plugged the four pin connector into the camera and glued it into place with hot glue. After the glue had cooled I rocked the newly molded connector, along with a bit of gentle prying until it separated from the camera body. The glue releases pretty well if the oil is well spread. This has worked very well with my XL1 since there are a lot of nooks for the molded plug to grab onto.

I hope this is of some use.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #3
New Boot

firewire securing

you have a very legit problem---would like to know if you find out a good
way --this problem has plagud me also ---lots of luck
Bob McRee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #4
Major Player

With my XL-1, I use a thinner (2-3 mm) FW cable to run to the Firestore. I just take a couple of turns around the tripod neck and leave a loop -- I've never had a problem with the connection.

Even with FW recording, I always use a tape as a backup -- weird things can sometimes happen with the hard disk.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics