Gemini vs. Hyperdeck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old February 6th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Gemini vs. Hyperdeck

I'm weighing the pluses and minuses of the Hyperdeck Shuttle as an alternative to the Gemini.

My question is: if one is planning to work with uncompressed files, what do you get for the extra cost of the Gemini? This is a real question and I'm not trying to start a flame war here, just looking for facts.

Specifically:

- Can you transcode directly from the Hyperdeck files (wrapped as .mov I believe) into to your favorite format using Adobe Media Encoder? I know you can do that with Gemini as I have done it successfully on some test files.

If you can, then you should be able to get equally high quality images from both at 422 (not 444 of course!)
Both I believe are low volts and can be powered easily with external battery.

Aside from that, Gemini gives you:

- Monitor
- LUTs
- 444/RGB*

*I'm not convinced I can see a difference between 422 and 444, but does the RGB output into the Gemini add anything?

Anything else I'm missing in factoring in the benefits vs. costs?

Thanks.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Gemini vs. Hyperdeck

OK, so I am partly answering my own question:

A big difference is inability to trigger recording on Hyperdeck and ? powering from Swit batteries. Here's what I heard today from Black Magic:

"We have not tested it with a Swit S-8U62.

And there is no trigger, so it will have to be manual to capture and end
capture. This has been logged as a feature request but I will be happy to
relog this request.

As such, you will probably want to look into alternatives."
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kimmel View Post
I'm weighing the pluses and minuses of the Hyperdeck Shuttle as an alternative to the Gemini.

Specifically:

- Can you transcode directly from the Hyperdeck files (wrapped as .mov I believe) into to your favorite format using Adobe Media Encoder? I know you can do that with Gemini as I have done it successfully on some test files.

The uncompressed MOV files can be imported and transcoded to pretty much just about anything. All you need to do is to install the Hyperdeck utilities which install a QT uncompressed codec that is compatible with the Hyperdeck series. Thus any NLE that can use QT can read the files natively.

The Hyperdeck Studio and Shuttle 2 will also do Avid DNxHD MXF lightly compressed output (220M, 4:2:2, 10 bit, I believe), but as of the moment, only Avid software can read these files natively. There are rumors (confirmed by BMD online) that there is another firmware upgrade in the works that will add an additional compressed format that is easier to work with. But you know rumors.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have the Hyperdeck Shuttle but not the Gemini.
At $350 buying the Shuttle was an easy decision for me.
I bought it while waiting, and waiting, and waiting for the PIX 240.
I am very pleased with the Shuttle's uncompressed recordings, except for the cost of SSD's
When the PIX arrived I was dissapointed with the bulk and low quality of the monitor.
PIX recordings are superb and trouble free though and audio options are superior.

I have opted for a Shuttle 2 with DNxHD and a good monitor, with some change in my pocket.
Preliminary tests look good for Shuttle DNxHD.

I can live with crash record.
The Shuttle can be powered from 12-18v so although I haven't tested this, I don't think it will give me any problems powered from the camera's AB batteries.
I'm working on a simple bracket to fit the Shuttle to the side of the battery mount using the Shuttle mount plate.
Just a concept so far.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Major Player

The inability to trigger off the start button on the F3 is a deal breaker for me. I know myself and I would forget to hit the record button on the hyperdeck at just the wrong time!
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I won't be using the Shuttle as a proxy but as my main recorder so there will only be the shuttle button to press for me.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm awaiting news on firmware update for Gemini (e.g., ability to handle sound, etc), and then will make a decision on whether to go this route or just go with a Samurai.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics