HD-SDI to Mac Pro Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 4th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Major Player

HD-SDI to Mac Pro Workflow

Hi all - I'm planning a shoot in theory, and wonder if you all approve or can suggest anything different?!

I'm planning a shoot from a camera with HDMI out, to a nanoConnect (HDMI -> HD-SDI) convertor, then to a 50' BNC-terminated cable to a Mac Pro with a Decklink HD Extreme = entirely digital signal (w/audio). Once in the computer, there'll be a 2x250 GB (500 GB total) RAID set to capture: Codec?

Suggestions on codecs? I'd love to use Cineform because of what I've heard about it's great quality and small size. However, it's not ready for the Mac OS yet and my shoot is next month. Blackmagic JPEG isn't good enough for my purposes - the resulting video image will have a lot of work done on it. I don't own Final Cut Studio 2 (with it's Proress 422) - how is that codec?
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Firty views, and nary a peep.

Is this a good workflow? Is ProRess 422 okay?
Old July 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Robert,

I've spent the last 6 mos working with our MacPro capturing directly from the HD/SDI output of a Canon XL H1. We have a 3.5 Tb Ciprico fibre channel RAID that will handle 10 bit uncompressed HD. Using that codec, at 600 GB/hr of footage, means 3.5 Tb of storage is really only enough for 1 project at a time. We recently finished a shoot using the same system but captured as DVCProHD, about the same data rate as 10 bit SD uncompressed, 100 GB/hr.

You don't have enough storage for anything higher than DVCProHD in my opinion. 10 bit uncompressed HD is out of the question.

We are currently getting ready to try ProRes 422 using the AJA io/HD and FCS 2. I'll let you know how it works when we get it. The AJA io/HD hasn't started shipping yet though.

Search my posts for for info on our current mobile uncompressed HD setup.
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I'll be using 4x250 GB HD's in the Mac Pro then in RAID.. and I am really wishing to use the ProRes 422 at 8bit. I'd capture to BM uncompressed 8bit, but never got it working with 3 drives - couldn't substain 29.97 fps (stuck around 27 lol).

I'll check out your post, and I'll be interested in hearing your results. I will post my results too once I get FCS2 since I already have all the hardware. Cheers!
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yup, thanks, all I needed to know. I was planning to buy the new Nebtek monitor, but because I need to replace my computer now; that was the reason for the change in plans. Still, will eventually buy it after this.

The biggest reason to upgrade the laptop though is a might as well one if I can get one cheap enough, I need the laptop for a different application software for which my current one is more than adequate though (just don't want to have to reinstall it and bother with licensing/registration stuff twice).

Thanks so much for the input though, it's been very helpful.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > External Recording Various Topics