FCPX 10.0.5 How to burn a DVD with a Menu? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old July 6th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Trustee

FCPX 10.0.5 How to burn a DVD with a Menu?

This is another problem area where a solution is needed. I've got several Projects that are relatively short, like in the 3 to 6 minutes range, and don't want to burn separate DVDs for each one.

Question #1: What is the DVD menu normally called? A "Menu"? Or something else? What I'm talking about is what one sees when a DVD is first started and there are options like playing the featured video, other videos (like if the DVD has a series of short cartoons - I've got a kid watching one of those as I write this), etc.

Question #2: If FCPX can't create a Menu then is there another Apple product that can? Or would one have to go to some other third party application? (It'd be nice to avoid that if possible but that may not be an option.)
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: FCPX 10.0.5 How to burn a DVD with a Menu?

Toast is an option as well as iDVD. If you really need to make an elaborate menu, Adobe Encore is probably the only pro now.
Old July 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Trustee

By Jove, I think I've got it!

Hey, thanks William! Don't know quite how to say this, but Geeze! I think I got it. iDVD that is.

For the time being iDVD should work fine. I'm not doing anything commercial yet so for my somewhat limited use the options available with iDVD will do fine.

Just found that Toast 11 is available for $50 at cult of mac deals but the offer probably expires tomorrow. I think I'll pass and use iDVD for the time being.

The next step, though, is a burner for my Mac Pro but I don't know which way to spring: regular DVD burner or Blu ray, LightScribe or not, internal or external. An external one could be shared with my MacBook Pro. Anyway, this will probably be another post.

Thanks very much for directing me to iDVD.
Old July 7th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Major Player

I'm not doing as much video as I used to but still needed something better than the option that comes with X. I just purchased Toast and I'm not that excited about it. I think iDVD will probably work just fine for what you're looking for.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Just burnt my first ever DVD with Menu

Used iDVD and it went not as well as I would have liked. Watched the demo's and they all made it look so easy. When I went to try it, though, things didn't go so smooth. But then what new application does? I should'a known.

The DVD included two menu items: one video and some photos in another. I put the photos in a slide show with a transition between each one then brought in some background music, the same soundtrack that was used in the video.

The video was the part that gave me the static. It brought in an earlier edit version and it took me a number of tries to get the newer version selected. Still not sure what the proper workflow is but a lot has to do with my file system (or maybe lack there of).

PAL format: Great discovery! One of the iDVD selection options is for burning to a PAL format. Didn't do it on this project but have another one in the wings that I can use this on.

Bottom line: really made progress today thanks to some great feedback.
Old July 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #6
Major Player

For iDVD, make sure that you export a full quality video from FCPX to add to your dvd contents. Also, in iDVD, make sure that you set the project to Best Quality (Project Menu-->Project Info). That gets you 2-pass variable encoding for better quality. Also, after setting up your dvd I recommend File Menu-->Save as Disc Image... as the first step. That creates a .img that you can open and test in DVD Player, and you can also then easily make multiple copies (using Disk Utility) without having to recompress.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Sponsor: Westside AV

DVD Studio Pro still works great if you have FCP Studio 2. It is very easy to use and quite powerful.

I use Bitvice to make the M2V a AAC files after export from FCPX as Prores, then author in DVDSP.
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #8
Trustee

Honestly it may be cheaper and easier to use Bootcamp, but a copy of Windows 7 and buy one of many DVD authoring programs out there for the PC. Many of them for around $100.00 will even do Blu-ray with full motion menu support. Custom menus as well. Since DVD authoring typically uses lower system resources you may even be able to use Parallels to run a Windows program with great results.

Apple wants Optical discs to go away so I doubt you will see a native Mac solution ever again outside of Adobe Encore.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Trustee

David: The devil is in the details

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
For iDVD, make sure that you export a full quality video from FCPX to add to your dvd contents. Also, in iDVD, make sure that you set the project to Best Quality (Project Menu-->Project Info). That gets you 2-pass variable encoding for better quality. Also, after setting up your dvd I recommend File Menu-->Save as Disc Image... as the first step. That creates a .img that you can open and test in DVD Player, and you can also then easily make multiple copies (using Disk Utility) without having to recompress.
Thanks for the list of things to consider checking. I do try to do the "Best Quality" option double-pass but I'll have to make double sure the next time I burn to see if that's what happens.

As for the others, those are Excellent suggestions to add to the workflow. Speaking of workflow, I need to update mine. Actually, all of them. Seems I've been tweaking them faster than I can get them updated.
Old July 8th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Trustee

Thomas: I know you mean well, but.....

..... unfortunately, my Macs are a "not for Windoze" platforms. I've almost made the total switch from PC but haven't sent my Pentium IV to the recycler yet. Still have some old legacy software programs that need it's assistance, but the day is coming. It does run Windows XP (that's what I call windows 10, Preliminary). Okay, so much for the fun stuff. I do respect and value your input and judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Honestly it may be cheaper and easier to use Bootcamp, but a copy of Windows 7 and buy one of many DVD authoring programs out there for the PC. Many of them for around $100.00 will even do Blu-ray with full motion menu support. Custom menus as well. Since DVD authoring typically uses lower system resources you may even be able to use Parallels to run a Windows program with great results.

Apple wants Optical discs to go away so I doubt you will see a native Mac solution ever again outside of Adobe Encore.
This part I don't understand. Why do they want to move this way so fast? Because they have, or will have (don't know if it's finished being built yet) a large data storage facility? Is the plan to rent space and have another income stream?

Personally.... I prefer to have my data in my own two little hands and not rely on some data warehouse a thousand miles away. On the other hand, I'm not sure my data is any safer. There was a time when I was making good backup and burning them to CDs but that hasn't happened for awhile. If we ever have a fire or when we get our 9.0 magnitude earthquake our data might just be toast. So I don't know.

Thanks for your comments and one of the questions I still need to answer is whether I really need to burn to blu-ray. As photographers we're always looking for better resolution and blu-ray is supposed to have it.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X