macbook pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

macbook pro

I need a laptop to edit final cut pro x on, I have a mid 2012 mac mini, ssd, 16 gigs of ram, it is so slow I cant use it. don't want to spend all the money for a new one, and I understand that the non-retina version is the one to own. U can change drives & ram. What models of the 15 inch are good enough for 2 to 3 layers of hd.

thanks,

Charlie
Charlie Branham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Unregistered Guest

Re: macbook pro

You'd actually be better off considering a new iMac. You get a whole lot more for your money over a MacBook Pro.
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Do think about a Retina though. It's really a fast system, dream to edit on in FCPX.
We are using 3 of them, and we are surprised every day about their speed.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You can't compare Mini to MBP to iMac without knowing the specs.
A Quad i7 Mini could outperform a Quad i5 iMac in many CPU based tasks.

If your Mini is a Quad i7 then there's problems with your system. If your Mini is a Dual i5 it will be slow.

A MBP Quad i7 with GeForce 1GB 650M would outperform an iMac Quad i5 with Geforce 512MB 640M

I'm not sure why you understand the non retina is the one to own. You need to understand the different models and what they offer vs your needs.

The best possible Mac for FCPX would probably be 27" iMac Quad i7 with 2GB GeForce 680MX
The best MBP would probably be 15" MBPRetina 2.8GHz Quad i7 with 1GB GeForce 650M which would be slightly better than 15" MBP(non Retina) 2.7GHz Quad i7 with 1GB GeForce 650M. Neither of which would be quite as good as the aforementioned iMac due to the GPU.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I guess my non-retina request was because of limitations of adding ram & hard drives. Maybe a non retina, adding a ssd & 16 gigs of ram. My core I-5 mini is sooo slow in editing. I added a ssd & 16 gigs of ram. Killing me. Got to buy a unit today & get back to work.
Charlie Branham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #6
Inner Circle

In the current models the 15" MBP can max out at 16GB RAM.

The current 15" MBPretina can come with 8GB or 16GB preconfigured. Basically the 15" MBP non Retina can allow you to decide to add RAM later but if your goal is 16GB you can get that with the MBPr at time of purchase. Personally I don't see adding RAM later as a big advantage unless you want to start with 8GB.

Yes a MBP non Retina can allow you to add another drive, true.

On the other hand the MBPretina has two Thunderbolt ports and some might find that useful.

Last edited by Craig Seeman; May 24th, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I went with a MBPretina with everything available and added the thunderbolt display. The big screen is wonderful to work with and the 3 extra USB3, 1 firewire 800, ethernet connection and additional thunderbolt port are very useful. It even has a charger cord for the laptop so you don't have to pull the charger out of the bag. Plus the laptop is super light and portable for going on the road. It is a great option for a one man show.
Joe Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

There is no FW 800, or 400, on a retina MBP.
Old May 24th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Emerick View Post
Firewire is EOL for the most part. DV/HDV cameras all but gone from production. Firewire drives replaced by faster USB3 and Thunderbolt drives. Apple sells a Thunderbolt to Firewire cable. Belkin Thunderbolt dock has Firewire 800 port.
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Emerick View Post
That is correct. My Thunderbolt display has the FW800 port. I know DV/HDV is dead but I have oodles of DV tape which I may want to access the footage someday. I'm glad they included the FW800.
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Maybe I should repeat this again. Apple sells a Firewire to Thunderbolt cable. I'd rather have the more flexible Thunderbolt port and just get the simple cable.
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Maybe I should repeat this again. Apple sells a Firewire to Thunderbolt cable. I'd rather have the more flexible Thunderbolt port and just get the simple cable.
I agree your point but... The intention of my first post was to inform the OP that the MBPretina when paired with the Apple 29" Thunderbolt display is a very viable post production option. With it's additional ports, the display acts as a docking station with many different ports which one of them happens to be an FW800 port. I'm sure the thunderbolt to FW cable is a lot cheaper than the $999 TB Display but I think you get a little more from the display. ; )
Old May 25th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Holt View Post
I agree your point but... The intention of my first post was to inform the OP that the MBPretina when paired with the Apple 29" Thunderbolt display is a very viable post production option. With it's additional ports, the display acts as a docking station with many different ports which one of them happens to be an FW800 port. I'm sure the thunderbolt to FW cable is a lot cheaper than the $999 TB Display but I think you get a little more from the display. ; )
I certainly wouldn't like carrying a 27" TB display with me in the field for a Firewire connection. I'd get a MBPretina for portability specifically otherwise, I'd get a 27" iMac (Quad i7, 680MX). Of course some would get the MBPr for both desktop and portable use but you wouldn't be taking the monitor for portable use. That's why I also mention the Belkin dock which does have Firewire amongst other ports.
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Holt View Post
I went with a MBPretina with everything available and added the thunderbolt display. The big screen is wonderful to work with and the 3 extra USB3, 1 firewire 800, ethernet connection and additional thunderbolt port are very useful. It even has a charger cord for the laptop so you don't have to pull the charger out of the bag. Plus the laptop is super light and portable for going on the road. It is a great option for a one man show.
The 'Thunderbolt display' does not have USB3... yet!

Also, it's not 29"... it's 27"

Check your facts, man!
Richard Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Collins View Post
The 'Thunderbolt display' does not have USB3... yet!

Also, it's not 29"... it's 27"

Check your facts, man!
I stand corrected.
Joe Holt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X