DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old January 14th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: FCP-X 10.1 Released!

Just drag the updated projects into the events folders they belong to. It's a little clumsy at first but it gives the user a chance to associate projects with the correct event folder. Now I am making separate new libraries and moving large events into them so they don't load unless I am working on it. It is working out better than I first experienced with the upgrade.

Last edited by William Hohauser; January 14th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks William
Old January 14th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #18
Major Player

I've been going through a tutorial this morning concerning Libraries and it's a real eye-opener. Understanding the new hierarchy (Libraries contain Events and Events contain Projects, plus you can have more than one Library) is really helping me to get a grip on the concept(s) behind 10.1.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #19
Trustee

Looks like several of us are in relatively the same stage of learning the new update. I've had the new version sitting on the computer for some time now but just haven't got around to doing anything with it because there are a "ton" of old Projects that haven't been finished and archived. The question to myself was "What is the best way to approach getting started?"

The answer to myself was "It's time to finish something. Start with the oldest Projects, clean up the loose ends, get them finished, archived, and DELETED!" However, that isn't as easy as it sounds because the reason they haven't been finished is due to little loose-ends, those little details that separate a home movie from something that someone might even want to watch.

The oldest Project is from 2005 and the format is the old fashioned TV format and there is lots of video noise. It's actually a pretty bad, naaaa…. , make that really bad, video by todays standards but I can't bare to throw it away. I've decided to make a 16:9 introduction and blend the two formats. Once, maybe IF, I can get past this one the next several should be a piece of cake.

New (to me) terminology: "Volume" I've seen this used before but never had to know what it meant. Now I have to.
Definition: This is not quarts, gallons, letters, cubic feet, etc., it is basically a drive (Hard Drive, SSD) or some defined portion of it, say a Partition for example.

Here are some references:
KB articles:
Final Cut Pro X 10.1: How to remove and reinstall Final Cut Pro X kb/HTS149
Final Cut Pro X: …. Installation Best Practices kb/HT4722
Final Cut Pro X: Version 10.1 release notes kb/HT4589
Final Cut Pro X: How to back up important FCPX 10.0.X files kb/HT5550
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #20
Major Player

A very frightening glitch

Apparently, updating an earlier (10.0.x) project in 10.1 can ruin or corrupt certain parts of your timeline.

Last week, I wanted to access an earlier FCP X project that was done last year on 10.0.x (the "x" means I can't remember the exact number it was done on at that time, but it was one of the 10.0 series).

It was a large project, 3 1/2 hours long with over 70 sections, but I just wanted to access a small part of it because I wanted to duplicate a tiny part of it for a current project.

FCP 10.1 won't let you look at that old project at all unless you fully update all of the projects on that old drive so that it conforms with the new library system.

Fair enough. So I let it update all of the projects and events on that old drive and then I opened up the timeline I was after. What I found was that it had removed all of the key framing from the music tracks! Instead of the music gently decreasing and then fading as the speaker utters the first few words, it was just full volume music which totally obscured the first couple of spoken words, then the music stops dead.

The key framing on the dialogue tracks seemed to be retained, however. The update just seems to have wiped the key framing from the music tracks only. I don't know if other parts of the timeline have been affected (outside of the music tracks) because I don't have 3 1/2 hours spare to play it all through and fully scrutinise it.

I'm really enjoying FCP X in general because I have a large number of projects and deadlines and it's super-fast and intuitive to use. Plus I'm really appreciating the new library structure (as I get through my tutorials on it).

I could write two pages about the nightmares of trying to update FCP 6 projects for use in FCP X (but I'll spare you).

However, I thought that authoring a project from scratch in FCP X meant that you were safe going forward and you could always open up old FCP X projects and the timeline would always be pristine.

Not the case. Not the case at all and my current feeling is that it's very shoddy engineering by their FCP X software team.
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #21
Major Player

Ripple Training has quite a few (free) videos detailing what's new and how to go about it. There's a lot of info about it out there...
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #22
Major Player

Am about to buy a new iMac. I'll need to re-instal FCPX. I currently have version 10.0 and am happy with that. Can I instal this on the new iMac or will it be, via the Apple Store download, version 10.1?

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #23
Major Player

There's so many improvements between 10.0 and 10.1.1 (current version) it's idiocy to keep using 10.0. The updates are also free, so there really no reason not to upgrade. 10.1 requires Mavericks, but if you're getting a new iMac it comes with that anyway.
Only reason I can think of not to upgrade to at least 10.0.9 is if you're using a pirated copy ;)
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Jackson View Post
Am about to buy a new iMac. I'll need to re-instal FCPX. I currently have version 10.0 and am happy with that. Can I instal this on the new iMac or will it be, via the Apple Store download, version 10.1?

Ron
If you used "Migration Assistant" to transfer your files over, it can also transfer any applications you have, such as Final Cut Studio.

However, this is a great opportunity to do a clean fresh install, so just be discriminate in what files to bring over.

Definitely install Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, there is a lot of performance improvements and a free update. You can do it via the Mac App Store.
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #25
Major Player

I was reading David Knagg's post. I have two or three old projects on this old iMac linked to an external hard drive. I would wish to transfer these projects to the new iMac, same external drive. I then need to update the projects. Will 10.1 be okay then?

Ron
Old January 26th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #26
Major Player

Hi Ron, There's 10 free videos at Ripple that'll tell you everything you need to know - Ripple Training
Old January 26th, 2014, 04:09 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Farrants View Post
There's 10 free videos at Ripple that'll tell you everything you need to know
Hi Ronald.

Those free "teaser" videos will tell you about one-third of the story. For example, Ripple's free "Working with Libraries" video is only a 5-minute excerpt from their paid 24-minute movie called "Using Libraries". Etc., etc.
Plus there are four movies on Media management that you won't want to miss.

Ronald, I strongly encourage you to upgrade. I love the new organization of 10.1. I think you will too. Just make sure you've got back-ups. I had a full clone drive of that old one I updated, plus I have an old laptop with FCP 6 and FCP X 10.0.9. So I'm covered either way.

My post about the glitch just means that, even if the client wants just a very tiny tweak to an old project and, even if the project is 3 1/2 hours long, it's a better idea to set aside half a day just to re-watch and verify that everything is still there, than issue it (due to time constraints) and "trust" that everything will be okay because "I didn't change anything on the timeline myself". That's all.

And remember that they've already issued 10.1.1, which fixes a number of early bugs, so this glitch may already be history.

My two cents. Upgrade, but scrutinize old timelines before you work on them again. And, if possible, get the full set of Ripple tutorials (paid) as I mentioned right near the beginning of this thread.

Apple seems fully committed to making this tool better and better as time goes on.
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #28
Major Player

I've upgraded to 10.1 on this iMac, and also updated all my projects and events which stored on a number of external drives.

I now wish to upgrade to 10.1 on my MBP. Do I need to do any more projects and events upgrading? MBP uses the same external drives as the iMac which updated as stated above.

Ron
Old March 24th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #29
Major Player

Just to note that Lynda.com has recently issued an all-new "FCP X 10.1.1 Essential Training" with sections on Event and Library management.

I've just done two of these tutorials (on moving around Libraries, Events and Projects) and have found them to be excellent. I'm glad that Lynda have finally caught up!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X