DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old December 19th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #1
Trustee

FCP-X 10.1 Released!

Apple just pushed the first major "Point" update to FCP-X 10.1.
The best news is that it's absolutely FREE - along with updates to Compressor and Motion.

There are a lot of internal changes including the fact that Projects and Events are now folded into "Libraries" that will help in collaborative workflows.

Phillip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance has indicated that the best way to upgrade your current FCP-X Events and Projects smoothly will be to use his Event Manager X program - and because of the changes to X essentially make EventManager X unnecessary - - so his team has decided to give it away for FREE for all who wish to use it to migrate to the new software.

Check out his "how to upgrade" post at Upgrade your Events and Project to FCP X 10.1 Libraries the better way | The present and future of post production business and technology

Or if you want to hear him discuss the changes to X as a developer who's been working with it for some time now, he's my guest on my Livestream FCP-X show tonight at 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern

Search on Livestream.com for AZFCPUG for the link to the live show. It's free as well and will be archived there after a day or so.
Old December 19th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: FCP-X 10.1 Released!

Bill - thanks for the update news.

I'm looking forward to more news about what is included in the update. The "Libraries" and "Projects" change, for me, is no big deal so hopefully there is something else. My wish list will include easier color adjustments and a way to use "Stabilization" by selecting a part of the picture that needs to not move.

The part about that it's a free update is very good news! Glad to hear that. Perhaps that will help with the sale of new Mac Pro machines.

Because everything works fine for me as is, my plan is to hold off with the update for awhile until I hear some feedback about how others have gone through their updates.

By the way, I didn't know you had a Livestream program so I'll check it out.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I am on the fence with the new libraries. On the one hand the new interface is a lot less clunky when you have a lot of projects on your drives and there is now a clean way to remove associated events and projects from the browser temporarily without a hassle. On the other hand you have to scroll out of the event list to find another project to load, I would have been happy to have kept the old project list but with an option to switch to list instead of filmstrip like you can still do in the events browser.
Old December 19th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Upgrade "blew up" on a MBP15r but Apple Joint Venture support walked me through the fix. Running Mavericks. Still learning FCP-X.

As an Apple JV member, they tracked me down to quote me a Mac Pro. Pleasantly surprised with the pricing. Delivery will be February at the earliest. I will place the order soon.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

all upgrades done. final cut pro freezes on import. Anybody else run into this problem?
Charlie Branham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Apple does have some instructions about how to update to 10.1.0 at Final Cut Pro X 10.1: How to back up important Final Cut Pro X 10.0.x files before updating Oh, I should mention it is dated Dec 19.

Quote:
Before installing Final Cut Pro X 10.1 from the Mac App Store, be sure you have a current backup of your important Final Cut Pro X 10.0.x files before updating. Follow the steps below to back up your projects, events, and your current version of Final Cut Pro X 10.0.x.

I found this note interesting, quote:
Important: It is recommended that you complete any active projects before updating to a new version of Final Cut Pro.

I'm in no rush and still waiting to read what others have for an update experience.

Last edited by John Nantz; December 20th, 2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: date of kb
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 03:29 AM   #7
Major Player

I've updated one of the desktops I'm using to 10.1 and immediately bought Ripple Training's new tutorials on the changes for 10.1 (I'm a full Lynda.com member but they have been totally dragging their heels with getting any training out for this new release, so I've had to purchase Ripple's). The Ripple tutorials are 4 hours long and I was only about half an hour into them when a sudden new project and deadline propelled me into using 10.1 on this job.

The biggest impression upon starting?

The "library" model reminds me a fair bit of the old Browser in FCP 6. I went to create the new Event and it had a checkbox asking if I wanted to create a new Project with it (I did). The new Project appears in the window along with all of the media for the event. Just like the Sequence used to appear in the Browser Window with the media for that FCP 6 "Project". Although now they call the project an Event and the sequence is now called a Project. So it "feels" like they've given us back the old Browser concept in terms of where you now find everything in 10.1. I'm possibly technically incorrect about this and could even be upbraided by Bill or William for stating it this way, but it really is my impression.

10.1 is for Mavericks OS only:
If you're keeping to an earlier OS (as I am with one machine) to keep all of your earlier FCS software fully functional, you won't be able to upgrade to the new FCP X 10.1. This new update is leveraging a lot of great functions in the new OS, so I totally understand why, but you should be aware that the future of FCP X begins with Mavericks and plan accordingly.

To Charlie:
So far, my importing using 10.1 has been just fine.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #8
Regular Crew

It finally imported. Seems to faster than my other system not running upgrade. Will load more today & see.
Charlie Branham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Branham View Post
all upgrades done. final cut pro freezes on import. Anybody else run into this problem?
I posted this in another forum, describing an import issue ...

I finished the intake of video from my 2 Canon HF-G10 cameras, a H4N and a Marantz digital audio recorder, along with CD music for the skaters. I created a library on a fresh external WD My Studio 3TB connected to an 2012 iMac (current OSX) via FW800. The only issue I ran into was a Mac service that kept stopping (Codec32bittool). When I wanted to optimize the media files, the progress indicator kept stopping at around 15%. I looked at the Mac services and found the codec32bittool was "not responding" and had turned red (stock Apple Quicktime codecs btw).

Some research showed that it could be rights or file corruption. I ran the disk manager that comes with OSX and it found some permissions on the boot drive that I repaired. There were also a few things to fix on the external drive. This improved the situation but it was not stably running. I booted with DiskWarrior and ran it against the same drives and let it repair and back up the file directories. Intake performed much more predictably but I did have one occurrence of the service timeout after all the fixes were applied. My hypothesis is that the new single file library design is more susceptible to file system problems than the old media store. I have a 2nd WD 3TB external drive that I could test, but choose to move along with the project.

The Apple Support community did not have other reports of this particular problem specific to FCPX 10.1, a good thing I guess.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!
Chip
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
Apple just pushed the first major "Point" update to FCP-X 10.1.
The best news is that it's absolutely FREE - along with updates to Compressor and Motion.

There are a lot of internal changes including the fact that Projects and Events are now folded into "Libraries" that will help in collaborative workflows.

Phillip Hodgetts of Intelligent Assistance has indicated that the best way to upgrade your current FCP-X Events and Projects smoothly will be to use his Event Manager X program - and because of the changes to X essentially make EventManager X unnecessary - - so his team has decided to give it away for FREE for all who wish to use it to migrate to the new software.

Check out his "how to upgrade" post at Upgrade your Events and Project to FCP X 10.1 Libraries the better way | The present and future of post production business and technology

Or if you want to hear him discuss the changes to X as a developer who's been working with it for some time now, he's my guest on my Livestream FCP-X show tonight at 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern

Search on Livestream.com for AZFCPUG for the link to the live show. It's free as well and will be archived there after a day or so.
Event Manager X can't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer.

I know there's a way around this, but I shouldn't have to jump through hoops every time I try to do something Mama Apple doesn't want Baby to do.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Apple does have some instructions about how to update to 10.1.0 at Final Cut Pro X 10.1: How to back up important Final Cut Pro X 10.0.x files before updating Oh, I should mention it is dated Dec 19.

Quote:
Before installing Final Cut Pro X 10.1 from the Mac App Store, be sure you have a current backup of your important Final Cut Pro X 10.0.x files before updating. Follow the steps below to back up your projects, events, and your current version of Final Cut Pro X 10.0.x.

I found this note interesting, quote:
Important: It is recommended that you complete any active projects before updating to a new version of Final Cut Pro.

I'm in no rush and still waiting to read what others have for an update experience.
So if you opened FCP 10.1 without doing this, it looks like you're screwed. Apple's practice of radically transforming things with no way back is getting old.
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lowe View Post
Event Manager X can't be opened because it's from an unidentified developer.

I know there's a way around this, but I shouldn't have to jump through hoops every time I try to do something Mama Apple doesn't want Baby to do.
All you have to do is go into system preferences and change the security level. The average computer user needs a basic level of protection from malicious programs and this is one way Apple provides it. The advanced user can get around it with a little work. Actually the programmers should have gone thru the identification process but they chose not to for whatever reason, legitimate or not.
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lowe View Post
So if you opened FCP 10.1 without doing this, it looks like you're screwed. Apple's practice of radically transforming things with no way back is getting old.
The update process in 10.1 gives the user a chance to save the old projects and files which is what I did. As it becomes clear that 10.1 is working fine, I am throwing out the old files as I go. If you don't like 10.1 or something goes wrong with the update and you have Time Machine installed you can go back to 10.0.9 easily.
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
All you have to do is go into system preferences and change the security level. The average computer user needs a basic level of protection from malicious programs and this is one way Apple provides it. The advanced user can get around it with a little work. Actually the programmers should have gone thru the identification process but they chose not to for whatever reason, legitimate or not.
I know, it's just frustrating sometimes. I didn't really lose anything vital by not paying attention to the single dialog box that trashed all current events and projects, but I have lost real work in the past. Onward and upward.
Old January 14th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Yeah, my self as a noobie FCPX student, it took me a while to find my projects in 'Update Projects', my old projects are greyed out in 'explorer', and no copying or duplicating works. Needless to say, it's quite annoying to someone learning the software for radical changes to be made. I must have updated after I got my machine back from apple after my power button got stuck. I can't remember, but shees.

(Shiver) So here's to relearning and unlearning very important work flows. It would have been nice of Apple to put out videos of the changes, but I guess they didn't.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X