DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old May 26th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #1
Trustee

When can we expect a new version of FCP-X

Any idea when a major new version will hit the market? It's been 3 years since X was released in the summer of 2011. Is this unusual for Apple products?
Old May 26th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: When can we expect a new version of FCP-X

10.1 was released in December of 2013 and requires Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). It is considered by most to be the release you describe.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for responding Les. Isn't that just a Dot release, not a major upgrade?
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Major Player

For FCPX there have been *multiple* updates within that almost three year period. For them something like the 10.0.x updates were similar to what some companies would have considered 10.x updates, and the 10.1 update was more like a .5 update. And, they've all been free. It's generally considered that the latest, 10.1.2, is imminent, especially with the Apple Developers Conference next week.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Thanks for responding Les. Isn't that just a Dot release, not a major upgrade?
The official name of the software is "FCP X" so like with OS X the "10" is part of the name, not a version number. So FCP 10.1 is a new version of FCP X just like OS 10.9 is a new version of OS X. It's kinda confusing at first and nontraditional but, hey, it's Apple.
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Also note that 10.1 was a significant change in introducing the Libraries model. It re-worked how X functions in network situations and preps X to move farther into large scale, collaborative workflows.

Honestly, X is so freakishly but subtly deep, that after 3 years, Level 1 and Level 2 formal Apple certifications and being halfway through the new Apple FCP-X Professional Post certification, I'm still finding stuff that I didn't have any clue that the program has built-in - which make my work easier.

The more I work with it the more I realize that X was a total systematic re-imagining of what editing needs to be in a modern internet connected and file based era.

It's really a developable platform more than just a program. And since it works insanely great for me right now, I'd much MUCH rather Apple take their time and work out not just which "features" to develop or advance, but how to make them work as smoothly and seamlessly as they did the Multi-cam and Roles functions.

For example, I truly DO NOT want them just to "slap an audio mixer into the software."

I'd much rather have them imagine how to let FCP X users work with the entire modern world of audio in smarter and better ways.

The long view, rather than the short view. FWIW.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Intriguing post, Bill.
Old June 11th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Major Player

With FCPX Apple has added pretty damn big new features in even dot dot releases (10.0.3 and 10.0.6, for example) and 10.1 should probably be seen as a full number release.
So don't let the numbers of the update make you think that no significant new features are added.
I much prefer this way of updating.
It's become a trend amongst software developers to release a "full number" release then just one or two bug fixes, then no new functionality until they've collected the bare minimum of new functions they they release a new full number release so they can charge for it again.
I'd rather have the FCPX way :)
Dmitri Zigany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I just wish they'd put a simple Save & Close for Projects & clearing the timeline.
Hubert Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'd like a Save & Close for projects & to clear the Timeline.
Hubert Hofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #11
Trustee

Hi Hubert,

Save and close is unnecessary in X because X "saves" literally every keystroke you make. If you've ever crashed while working with it, you've probably noticed that the worst result is that you might lose the very last action you took literally during the crash. This is because X is metadata based and all the program does is capture your text input for subsequent action, so it saves as fast as you type and click and insert and change things.

As to "clearing the timeline" all you need to do is hit Command N - for a new Project.

You get a fresh storyline and a blank slate. Or you can use the new Snapshot feature to "freeze" a storyline where it is, and use some or all (or very little) of the current arrangement to go forward.

Remember, the most difficult way to use X is to keep thinking about it exclusively in terms of how older NLE software USED to work. Trying to get it to mirror the same things you used to do works poorly in X. They changed it so that it could do things better and smarter - NOT the same way they used to be done.

For what it's worth.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X