Recommended color correction plug-in for FCP X? HyColour Pro? Color Finale? Hawaiki? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Pro X
The latest version of FCP from Apple.

Old July 13th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recommended color correction plug-in for FCP X? HyColour Pro? Color Finale? Hawaiki?

I want to get my color correction as good as possible. I do doc work and usually don't color grade much. I was trying to choose a plug-in for color correction in FCP X and was trying to decide between HyColour Pro and Color Finale. I was leaning towards HyColour Pro cause that seems more geared towards color correction, but I wondered if any here had any thoughts? Perhaps go instead for Hawaiki AutoGrade?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Recommended color correction plug-in for FCP X? HyColour Pro? Color Finale? Hawai

All of these are good. They have very different interfaces and toolsets. Are you accustomed to using traditional color wheels? Then you might prefer Color Finale. Hycolour is very powerful yet I find it more accessible if you are not expecting color wheels. Auto grade is not a full blown color editing tool but focuses more on color correction.

I don't really understand why there is not a tool in FCPX like the old FCP Classic one-click color correction, but there isn't. And these third party apps don't really provide that either. AutoGrade attempts it, but I just find that you still have to adjust things after using the Auto part.

I use Hycolour and love it. You probably should download trial versions of each to find the best fit for you.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Recommended color correction plug-in for FCP X? HyColour Pro? Color Finale? Hawai

White Balance 2 Plugin from FCPeffects.com is also pretty good for quick adjustments. Lots of useful sliders like Green/Magenta and color temperature. Also has the eyedropper tool for a quick adjustment. You can usually find a coupon for 50% off or so - I'd recommend it.

I wanted to like Color Finale, but the interface wasn't quick enough for everyday use. I didn't really like that it opened another window for the controls. That being said, the individual vector adjustments were nice.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Pro X