Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #1
New Boot

best compression settings under 10mb?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion fir getting a pal SD clip of 4 minutes under 10 mb so I can send it via regular email? Everything i try is either too big, or too poor quality. Is just for preview so doesn't need to be super sharp, but should be watchable...

Tips?
Tom Rosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Kino-Eye

The best quality for a specific size you're going to find is using the H.264 codec, but getting 4 minutes down to 10MB is a tall order, so you're going to have to make some sacrifices in terms of quality, resolution (frame size), and frame-rate.
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #3
Major Player

h.264 is the way to go for video. I would start by cutting the frame rate in half, make the video small, and then work on the bit rate. Also don't forget to cut the audio quality too. Just going to mono will help a lot in hitting your target.

But at the end of the day, you probably wont be happy with the quality at 10mb. I've been able to get 3 mins down to about 6mb using the above formula, but its nothing like full screen HD - or SD for that matter.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite