Is it safe to use FCP6 and FCS2 now? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Is it safe to use FCP6 and FCS2 now?

I'd like to use some of the new features of FCP (i.e. built-in motion tracking, etc.), but I've read in this forum about problems with the initial release of Final Cut Studio (problems with sound in FCP, etc). Have all these issues now been addressed via software updates, or are some folks still using FCP5 because of unaddressed issues?
Thanks
Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I still have problems with disappearing render files.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306068
Other than that all seems to work ok.
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I can second the issue with disappearing render files in FCS2. I've tried several combinations of scratch disks and whatnot. I've also had issues with FCS2 not recognizing my scratch disks that haven't changed at all since the last time I worked in a project. Usually when I just hit re-connect for the media it goes away just fine. It's a little wonky still. :)
Dave Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Major Player

I can't listen to audio smoothly in a timeline unless there is a video clip or slug above it. And also I have disapearing renders.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I really can't understand why it takes so long to fix the render bug. Version 6 has been around almost half a year now..
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #6
Major Player

I've been using FCS 2 for three weeks now, very intensively. So far, I have had none of the issues mentioned.... maybe I'm just lucky Hopefully I won't have to eat my words in a few weeks

Running 10.4.9 and Quicktime 7.0
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks for the replies - sounds like I'll hold off until there's a further software update.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

A Fix for Disappearing Render Files

Greg,

I hate to say it, but there's never been *any* version of any pro application that didn't have something not quite 100%. Apps are always in constant state of being updated/bug-fixed etc, so if you're waiting for FCS to be literally 100% issue-free you might as well not be working with computers.

For what it's worth, FCS2 on 10.4.10 is the most stable and reliable I've ever had any version of FCS be; we do have a test-bed running FCS2 on Leopard but that's on a MacBook Pro - we're still waiting for AJA to release 10.5-certified drivers so we can migrate our main system over as well.

About the disappearing render files issue:

The issue at hand is after rendering any sequence then saving and quitting FCS, upon re-opening FCS and the same project the render files get moved to the Trash. Not sure what causes this behavior but here's two fixes we've verified works:

1. Prior to re-opening FCS check your Trash; if you see the render folders there simply move them back to where you've told FCP to make them.

2. (Permanent fix) If possible (assuming you have more than 2 drives to work with) move your Thumbnail & Waveform Cache and Autosave Vault location to a physically different drive than where your render files are being sent. This seems to clear the issue.
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
1. Prior to re-opening FCS check your Trash; if you see the render folders there simply move them back to where you've told FCP to make them.
Thanks for the tip. I have to check my trash next time. At least this would be a workaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
2. (Permanent fix) If possible (assuming you have more than 2 drives to work with) move your Thumbnail & Waveform Cache and Autosave Vault location to a physically different drive than where your render files are being sent. This seems to clear the issue.
Interesting. This fix doesn't work with my system. I already have Thumbnail & Waveform Cache and Autosave Vault location on a different internal drive, media/render files on FW800 drives and FCP on internal OSX drive.

EDIT:
Ok. Fix is released.
http://www.apple.com/support/release...ut_Pro_6.0_rn/

Last edited by Poppe Johansson; November 15th, 2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: FCP update
Poppe Johansson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite