DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 13th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Quad and Mac Mini Team?

I recently bought a quad, and am realizing that with my workflow I need a second computer to capture. My PC captures to M2t files, so I'm thinking about selling it for a 2nd Mac and keeping the nice Dell monitor. Is the Mac Mini enough? I'm filming HDV, and will have to capture about 20 or so tapes every week.

We're also starting to do destination weddings, so I want it to be portable to utilize the downtime when we're on location. A powerbook pro might be a better option, but I'm worried about both the price and heat issues with it being a production machine.

Thoughts?
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Major Player

I use a Mini as a second unit to capture standard DV and it does it well. However, it is an older single core model without a Firewire 8 port and I am not confident it could handle the HD. Not sure about the newer dual core models; I don't know if they have a FW 8 port and I'm not sure what the video card is

I think the powerbook may be a better option; I think you can beef it up more. And it is truly more portable than the Mini. The Mini needs a keyboard, mouse and monitor; if you happen to have all that at another location fine, but it is not near as convenient as a laptop.

Not sure about the heating issues but I thought they had been cleared up. Maybe a laptop owner can chime in on that

So, although I love the mini, the powerbook, even at a higher price, may be the better bet
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Major Player

I use a 17" Macbook Pro to capture HDV to a OWC FW800 100gb 7200rpm portable drive and then plug it into a Powermac G5 or edit right on the MBP.

The MBP does get hot and has melted a couple batteries that Apple has replaced no charge. I now put a carpenter's pencil under each end of MBP when I'm doing processor intensive stuff. It definitely helps to keep some air flowing under the MBP.

If you need portability definitely go with the MBP, if you don't then the Mini will be great and substantially less money.

There is a thread on here where someone talks about capturing HDV on a Mini with no problems.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite