Final Cut Pro - HDV on Powerbook G4 with eSata drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Wrangler

Final Cut Pro - HDV on Powerbook G4 with eSata drive?

Will this setup be usable for rough cuts and basic titling? We're looking to use it on the road. When we get back home, we'll plug the drive into a Mac Pro.
Old January 10th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

It will handle HDV just fine, but renders will take forever. So make your edits, add filters whatever, but save the actual rendering for when you migrate the project back to the MacPro.

In the coming weeks, I'm going to post a "how to" on how to take a MacBook Pro (or even a G4 PowerBook) and turn it into a mobile edit-station on steroids using newly released technology.

I'll keep the forum posted.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

about in the coming weeks

If I would be your boss, I would tell you that we needed this for yesterday and even last weeks.So I cannot give you a bonus if you finish before the next few weeks, but please hurry.
thank you in advance
Martin Labelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

The manufacturers that make the technology won't have the demo units sent to me for another week or so, so be patient. (laughs)
Old January 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks for the info Robert, that's the news I wanted to hear. Both on the Powerbook and your upcoming post!

Any opinions on WIEBETECH? I'll be ordering several of their trayless RTX eSata cases.
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
Any opinions on WIEBETECH? I'll be ordering several of their trayless RTX eSata cases.
I like WT's stuff, it's designed and built well but their asking price is many times higher than the competition and for no good reason. The 4-bay eSATA RTX is almost $1000, however the Stardom Radion 4-bay (rack mount) is exactly the same hardware configuration with much quieter fans (almost silent) and only costs $299. I don't think paying an extra $700 just to have a "tray-less" mount is worth it, especially since it has nothing to do with reliability or data throughput. That's always been the case with WT, they make great stuff but highly overpriced.
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Major Player

Robert when you make the tutorial where will we be able to find it? I'm really interested.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
Robert when you make the tutorial where will we be able to find it? I'm really interested.
I'll post it here along with screenshots and pics of the physical setup. This setup is built around newly-released technology so I'm still waiting for these items to show up. It might be another week or so depending on the availability of the items.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite