DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 12th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #1
Major Player

New MacPro....processor speed

I am getting one of the new 8 core mac pros. This will be a big jump from editing on my MacBook Pro 2.16 Intel Duo Core.

I have 2 thoughts, one is get the fastest processor available at the time, because it will all get surpassed soon but you might as well get what is fastest at the time.

Another school of thought is that it is all going to be surpassed so save a little money and don't get the fastest.

I edit XDCAM/HDV/DV footage usually in their native formats, but will probably use ProRes formats too. Do you think the speed difference between the 2.8GHZ and 3.2 GHZ processors will have a marked difference. Its a 1600 dollar price difference.....which would cover the cost of whatever HD card I plan to get.

Thanks.

B
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
Do you think the speed difference between the 2.8GHZ and 3.2 GHZ processors will have a marked difference. Its a 1600 dollar price difference.....which would cover the cost of whatever HD card I plan to get.
As an owner of a quad 2.66, I would say no. I will tell you what makes a big difference though in speed of editing HDV/XDCAM is though....

...drive speed. I swear it does not make any sense whatsoever, given that the datarate for HDV is 10 times slower than any given firewire800 drive, but it's true. HDV media on my 8 drive external RAID is much faster to work with than the same media on my 320gb G-Tech FW800 2-drive RAID. I wish I could demonstrate it to you, it's so much faster.

So anyway, I'd skip the processor upgrade, and get a 4 or 5 drive RAID, if you're concerned about speed.
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Apart from fast drives, more RAM is another good way to spend the money that you save from sticking to the 2.8GHz model. That's what I'll do (both drives and memory).

- Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite