XH A1 24p mode - capture at 29.97 fps? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 18th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XH A1 24p mode - capture at 29.97 fps?

I recently submitted an email to canon asking them whay frame rate the A1 recorded at in 24p mode - 24fps or 23.98fps. this was their reply:

"Thank you for your inquiry on the precise frame rate in the XH A1. We
value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist
you.

The camcorder records at the NTSC fixed rate of 29.97 fps."

I'm assuming that this has to do with the 2:3 pulldown thats added. My question is this:

Would the correct workflow be to have my Capture and Device Control presets at 29.97 and my sequence presets at 23.98? Since fcp automatically removes the pulldown wouldn't this be the correct setup? Will having my sequence presets different from my capture presets be a problem in this situation?
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Bickford View Post
Would the correct workflow be to have my Capture and Device Control presets at 29.97 and my sequence presets at 23.98? Since fcp automatically removes the pulldown wouldn't this be the correct setup? Will having my sequence presets different from my capture presets be a problem in this situation?
I have only worked with 23.98 material a few times, but IIRC that is the way I did it and had no issues.

If in doubt, try capturing a little (say 10 minutes worth) and play it back in your timeline.

Here's one thing that comes to mind, however. I was working with Panasonic and JVC material using the Advanced pulldown. I don't know how the Canon cams are doing their pulldown. Hopefully someone who knows better than I will chine in on this.
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok This is definitely the correct way as this is how fcp's "hdv - 1080p24" preset is set up. For some reason I thought this preset also used 29.97 fps for the sequence rate (it uses 23.98 for seq, doesn't let you see/edit rate for capture, and sets device control rate to 29.97) and that confused me - but it turns out I was just confusing myself : )
Cal Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Bickford View Post
but it turns out I was just confusing myself : )
Yeah, that never happens to me. ;-D

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite