Changing Color in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Changing Color in FCP

I'm currently editing a music video in Final Cut Studio 2, this is my first time using the software so I'm not real familiar with it yet. Anyhow, I am trying to change the hair color of my subject... it is currently black. I have messed with the color corrector and the limit effect and I find that it works great when changing a color such as green to red or blue to yellow, but when trying to change black into another color it is not working good at all. I have tweaked what seems to be every possible setting and still can not get anything that looks close to acceptable... it either doesn't change all of the hair color or it does too much and bleeds into her facial area. Also, since her pupils are black, it is also changing her eye color.

Anyone have any advice for a better method?
Dana Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:26 PM   #2
Major Player

Either get really good at secondary color correction which is going to be tough since the color you are trying to narrow down is in everything. You could also do a frame by frame rotoscoping in after effects or color. Basically you will make a selection of the hair like using the lasso tool in photoshop except since this is video you have to change the selection every frame according to the movement of your subject. Very tough stuff no matter what.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 03:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Black isn't a color.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Major Player

And that is the problem. Which is why I think rotoscoping is they only way to do it.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #5
Major Player

You could try a luminance key and use a garbage matte to isolate the parts of the shot you don't want to key.
Old May 5th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #6
Major Player

Post a sample

If you post a screen grab or still from a movie that uses the effect you want, it might give people a clearer idea of what you are trying to do so they could help you better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite