DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 29th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Major Player

ProRes & Intel Macs...

Currently I have a PowerMac G5 (dual 2.3) w/ 2.5 GB of RAM.
Shooting on a Z1u & downconverting and editing everything as SD (this machine doesn't handle HDV too well). I'm still running FCS1 for now... yet to upgrade to FCS2.

The video quality of my projects are ok, I guess. I'm sure it could be better but I haven't had any complaints either. I'm just plagued by being my own worst critic! (Who isn't?!)

So reading all this stuff about capturing and editing in ProRes (what the heck is that?!) has got me thinking if it would be worth to to go that route and if my machine could even handle it. When I look at the system requirements for FCS2, it SHOULD work fine on my Mac. Reading an article (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._fw_balis.html) here though says I need an Intel Mac.

Is anyone else running FCS2 and using the ProRes thingy on a G5? If so... how's it working out? Is there a huge quality difference?
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Major Player

It's an architecture thing - not a grunt thing as far as I am aware.

Prores isn't a 'magic' solution, it's a pretty cool codec that works as an intermediate solution very well for a number of things - but if your current workflow is working for you it's not really going to be a magic solution.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response. My workflow works for me (downconverting and editing in SD), I just wonder if there's something I could do to make the quality of my video better.

Since my machine can't handle editing HDV, I wonder how much I actually lose en route before sending my project thru Compressor.
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite