DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP export aspect ratio issue

I'm having some trouble using 'Export Quicktime Movie'. To start at the beginning, I'm trying to create a DVD with chapters on it in iDVD. I've marked the chapters in the sequence but can't get them to export unless I use the 'export quicktime movie' option.

The footage is DV PAL but when I export using DV PAL as my codec it looks lousy. So, to get a better quality export, I've been changing my sequence settings to 'Apple intermediate codec' which gives me a good quality video. However, when I import this into iDVD the aspect ratio is slightly off, creating black bars at the sides of the image, even though in FCP it plays back at the right ratio.

I've tried adding the chapters in Quicktime having exported via 'Quicktime Conversion', successfully, but iDVD doesn't recognise them.

So, the real thing I need help with is: How can I get the correct aspect ratio in iDVD using a codec that gives me a good quality video.

I've been going through the forums for a while now - if there's a thread that can help feel free to point me in the right direction! Beginning to pull my hair out, and need to deliver the DVD tomorrow.

Any suggestions?
Matthew Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Major Player

My biggest question to you here is: you have FCP but yet you are still using IDVD to compile your DVD? Why not just export using compressor, pull it into DVD Studio Pro, place your chapter markers, hit build, and call it a day?
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM   #3
New Boot

I'm still getting to grips with the software, and didn't fancy taking on two new programmes this evening! So I was hoping this would be an easier solution... I had a look at compressor and DVDSP earlier but thought I'd try to keep it simple. Perhaps I'll have another stab at it now.
Matthew Whitney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite