DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 12th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
Have a look in System Preferences, I seem to remember an option for color mapping there, though I could be wrong (as proved above).
Liam, any idea where in system pref's??? I've been looking and don't find anything that looks promising.
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
washed out looking images are so so typically the result of adding setup once in the render, then the player adds setup again. Jeez, there's so many apportunities in the render process to screw up the pedestal/setup, it could be a million things. Best of luck, but, I would sure like to know if you added setup/pedestal in the basic render.
The issue I was talking about was with any file played in QT. The files from XDCAM transfer, output files, DV files, anything. But Robert's fix of hitting the tab in the QT preferences did exactly what I was looking for.

The interesting thing is that if I upload a file to my website (as a .mov) it looks fine in firefox (being played through QT) but if you download that file and play it in QT standalone that was when the stuff looked washed out (until I selected the color mangament tab).
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM   #18
Major Player

Just to make things more confusing for everybody: I had to make a picture from a quicktime move to play side by side in an interactive video. (don't ask why). The picture always came out significantly darker, ruining the effect. I exported/copied a still in every possible way, but the contrast never matched. When I turned on this "enable FCS color" check box, the video got darker and almost matched the pictures. (THE VIDEO WAS NOT EVEN MADE IN FC, IT WAS AN H264 FROM AFTER EFFECTS!) But this is not a fix as the interactive must play off of a PC. I finally had to take "window" grabs and crop out the QT borders in photoshop to actually match the video. It was a huge pain.
What's with QT?!!!?!
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #19
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
What's with QT?!!!?!
What's with Quicktime, indeed. In fact, what's with Apple's lack of keeping FCS up-to-date with competitive products? Only Apple insiders know and they're not talking - as usual.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Keck View Post
Liam, any idea where in system pref's??? I've been looking and don't find anything that looks promising.
No, sorry Mark, now that I've checked it's not there, even on my old machine.
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
The interesting thing is that if I upload a file to my website (as a .mov) it looks fine in firefox (being played through QT) but if you download that file and play it in QT standalone that was when the stuff looked washed out (until I selected the color mangament tab).
That's because Firefox can color manage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite