DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Trustee

Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ)?

I'm trying out a Panasonic AJ-HPX3000 camcorder for the moment. This is an insane (in a good meaning) camera, which I'm very happy to work with!
I do the recording in 108025p, avc-intra 100.
Everything works very well, no probs. transfering the P2-files to external disk and then do a log and transfer into FCP (running QuickTime v 7.4.5 and FCP 6.0.3). Had to download appropriate avc-intra software decoder for mac from the Panasonic website though!
My question will be what compressor encoding should I choose, Apple Pro Res 422 or Apple Pro Res 422 HQ?
It seems that when I do the log and transfer, files are imported as Apple Pro Res 422. Will there be any advantage to set the timeline to HQ?

I'm working on a Mac Pro, OSX v 10.5.3, 2x3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Zeon, 8GB of RAM, and a Raid-0 1.5TB disk. So I think and hope that the resources is more than enough to run in the highest possible quality.

Last edited by Per Johan Naesje; July 1st, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
Per Johan Naesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Major Player

You've got more than enough resources to cut HQ - it will greatly lengthen your render times and storage requirements though if doing a lot of grading/additional effects rendering in Final Cut - at which point you may wish you had used regular ProRes if you are on a tight deadline.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite