Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Optimum Codec for Editing HDV from XHA1

Hey Guys!
I am getting a new mac pro soon with the FCS2 and I was wondering how I should be importing my footage from a Canon XHA1: HDV, ProRes422, AIC, etc... Right now, I am working on a final cut express computer and only have the option of AIC60i. I would like to know what the highest quality format is and what the reasoning is behind using the different codecs, thanks!
-Steve
Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Bear in mind that if you record HDV, it won't necessarily help you to transcode to ProRes for editing, especially if hard drive space is at a premium for you or your system can't handle the much higher data rate.

Personally, I capture and edit HDV in FCP. I set the the HDV sequence to render effects and CC in ProRes 422 to take advantage of the increase in color space and then finish out to Compressor for DVD or Web, or print to HDCAM, DVCAM or Beta from FCP through the HD SDI outputs on the Kona card.

I stick with HDV because the new MacPro machines can handle it just fine. In my experience editing HDV for the last year, it is as easy as working with DV. It also takes up the same amount of space on the hard drive as DV, about 13GB/hour.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm running into the same problem. I edit with an 8 core Mac Pro, another one of my editors has a 4 core Mac Pro, but two more of my editors use 2.4 and 2.66 iMacs. Can the iMacs handle editing native HDV? Its getting confusing capturing some weddings in HDV and others in Pro Res and remembering who has what.

Thanks!
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for your insights... I guess I should also ask (I'm embarrassed to...) but what is the difference (pros/cons) between HDV and Prores422? Which one is more computer intensive? (and which one is ideal) The mac pro i will be getting will either be 2.8 or 3.0 8-core with at least 8 gigs of ram and the 8800GT nVidia Card.
Thanks for your awesome help!
-Steve
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Steve,

All your questions can be answered very concisely by reading up on the ProRes 422 and HDV white-papers on the Apple website. Workflow suggestions (sometimes specific to the camera) can be found along with general FCP settings etc.

I don't have those links but go to the Apple support page and search for HDV/ProRes white-papers and you'll have quite a bit of material to grasp.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite