Capture HDV in .mov possible? (Moved from PC/Vegas to Mac PPCS3) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture HDV in .mov possible? (Moved from PC/Vegas to Mac PPCS3)

I have been away from videoediting for about a year. I recently moved from PC and Vegas to Mac and PP CS3 and I have some HDV footage captured through PP CS3. When on PC I could (using HD-link) capture and transform into an cineform intermediate fileformat so that I could edit "frame-by-frame" and not be restricted to GOP editing (not sure if this is the right term but I guess you know what I mean). Is there a similar solution for the Mac platform (I have, to no avail, spent time trying to figure this out)? Any input/guidance is highly appreciated.

Regards

Hans
Hans van Turnhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Check with Cineform. My HD Link captures in .avi or .mov format, from HDV. I don't know if you need a separate license or if you can transfer to you mac system, but Cineform is also supposed to work in that platform these days.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I downloaded the Neo HD trial but it does not install on Mac unless you use Bootcamp or Parallels so that did not work.

//Hans
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Here is Cineform's page on cross platforming.

CineForm QuickTime Mac Codec

You apparently need serial number for MAC to install codec....
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link. However, my understanding is that this is just a codec and that it as such does not achieve the effect of transforming the HDV captured video to editable mov-format, i.e. it does not work as HD-link. I will ask in the Cineform forum if the codec is sufficient or if there is something else that need to be done.

//Hans
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #6
Wrangler

ClipWrap will re-wrap HDV/.m2t files into a Quicktime wrapper.

BUT!!!!:
A. You need another program to capture the HDV/.m2t files
B. Final Cut Pro must be installed on your system so that ClipWrap has the codecs to convert properly to Quicktime
C. It's a Mac only program.
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Can I obtain just the codec (I'm a hobbyist and don't want to invest in an additional videoediting program since I already have PP CS3)? Is there a software based capture program which I can use to capture in m2t files (the HDV captured via PP CS3 could not be read by ClipWrap)? I have an iMAC and a MacBook Pro so there is no room for a hardware capture card.
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #8
Trustee

Use the free mac app DVHSCap.

Good Luck!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'll try that one.

//Hans
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Downloaded DVHSCap and MPEG Streamclip. Used streamclip to convert the m2t-file to a mov-file for editing in PP CS3. My concern is that I guess/fear that this process/method is inferior to the ClipWrap solution since Streamclip encodes and ClipWrap just wraps. Anyone knows if and to what extent there is a quality difference between the two methods. I understand that the only way to have ClipWrap work is to have FCP installed. I live in Sweden and the cost for FCP is some USD 2,000 (!) and that is quite a cost for being able to wrap a file. Input as how to best preserve quality (preferably at a cost less than USD 2,000) is highly appreciated.

//Hans
Hans van Turnhout is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite